DCA Stories Pre 1990

:rolleyes:

OK !!

I hope that the youth of America doesn't get the wrong idea, but see this incident from my perspective. I'm in my mid 20's, and I hadn't EVER seen a DCA show, and most of us were a little intimidated from our experiences with Hawthorne and the like, only seeing them a couple of times in the past (Legion shows).

I will be the first to admit that this wasn't the ONLY war story I had, it's just one of the most memorable.

I should mention the '79 show in Hershey, when the Bucs put themselves on top. I still thought the 2 best parts of the show were the Sunrisers drum solo, with the smoke screen in front of the snares, and the strobes insides Hawthorne's bass drums..that was slick! What escapes me is that on the albums, the 11 1/2 minute gun went off at the beginning of Reading's closer, and their closer lasted over 3 minutes. Where was the timing penalty? Did anyone else ever think that was strange?

Pat

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody remember what identified you to a corps? The old "pisscutters". . .(geez, where'd that name come from??). All the OLD corps had them. Corps colors, tassle, wore them to parties at Legions, VFWs, the Moose establishments. Not much of a story. . .more like a memory, I guess.

Into the Sunriser War Stories treasure chest we go:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

*multiple post

Edited by tmignemi02

*multiple post

Edited by tmignemi02

OK real question, when did DCA stop having Prelims and Finals on the same day?

DCA went to the current Saturday-Sunday format in 1989. One of the best moves the circuit has ever made, IMO.

Jim, you're right.... the prelims-and-finals-on-the-same-day format was not easy on the corps. It was real tough to do a great performance in both shows, especially if there was a quick turnaround time between a corps' prelims and finals performances.

Fran

Anybody remember what identified you to a corps? The old "pisscutters". . .(geez, where'd that name come from??). All the OLD corps had them. Corps colors, tassle, wore them to parties at Legions, VFWs, the Moose establishments. Not much of a story. . .more like a memory, I guess.

Still got the ones I had as a kid and the ones my Dad had!

They were in the Corps colors, with the name on one side, you city/state on other, some had the Legion or VFW patch or the Corps emblem..####!!

Darn...

Guess I am showing signs of age

Jim, you're right.... the prelims-and-finals-on-the-same-day format was not easy on the corps. It was real tough to do a great performance in both shows, especially if there was a quick turnaround time between a corps' prelims and finals performances.

Fran

Tell me about it :P First time we made finals (1977) one of the things I heard was "Oh God I wonder if this means we have to run thru the show again before tonight".

Thank goodness the answer was no as I think some of us were running on fumes from working all weekend and the stress of trying to make full membership.

DCA went to the current Saturday-Sunday format in 1989. One of the best moves the circuit has ever made, IMO.

I agree Fran

OK real question, when did DCA stop having Prelims and Finals on the same day?

Fran

88 was to be the first year i believe but mother nature kinda rained on that parade.