DCA Stories Pre 1990

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a member of the Boston Crusaders in the mid 70's, I was often told a story that had happened in the late 60's at a show called Mission Drums and I'm curious if anyone on here may remember if this is true or not. Anyway, during the performance of the Yankee Rebels, a fight supposedly broke out between the Crusaders and the 27th Lancers on the field. Both junior corps where there to compete because two senior corps had pulled out. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Nemesis

As a member of the Boston Crusaders in the mid 70's, I was often told a story that had happened in the late 60's at a show called Mission Drums and I'm curious if anyone on here may remember if this is true or not. Anyway, during the performance of the Yankee Rebels, a fight supposedly broke out between the Crusaders and the 27th Lancers on the field. Both junior corps where there to compete because two senior corps had pulled out. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Nemesis

Copied from Ron Allards site www.srcorps.com

Mission Drums

June 28, 1970

Boston, Massachusetts

1 27th Lancers 74.95

2 Hurricanes 74.65

3 Boston Crusaders 73.30

4 Skyliners 72.75

5 Sunrisers (1.0 Penalty) 71.65

6 Caballeros 66.70

7 Rochester Crusaders 64.85

* Syracuse Brigadiers & Reading Buccaneers pulled out

27th and Boston were last-minute replacements

Interesting story even with out a fight. Only thing is I don't see the Rebs listed.

As a member of the Boston Crusaders in the mid 70's, I was often told a story that had happened in the late 60's at a show called Mission Drums and I'm curious if anyone on here may remember if this is true or not. Anyway, during the performance of the Yankee Rebels, a fight supposedly broke out between the Crusaders and the 27th Lancers on the field. Both junior corps where there to compete because two senior corps  had pulled out. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Nemesis

Copied from Ron Allards site www.srcorps.com

Mission Drums

June 28, 1970

Boston, Massachusetts

1 27th Lancers 74.95

2 Hurricanes 74.65

3 Boston Crusaders 73.30

4 Skyliners 72.75

5 Sunrisers (1.0 Penalty) 71.65

6 Caballeros 66.70

7 Rochester Crusaders 64.85

* Syracuse Brigadiers & Reading Buccaneers pulled out

27th and Boston were last-minute replacements

Interesting story even with out a fight. Only thing is I don't see the Rebs listed.

:blink:

Isn't it funny how close the scores are between these corps? Or were they done on different sheets?

It's like how MBI always had to compete with the DCI kids every summer, but never as close as these scores.

Pat

Into the Sunriser War Stories treasure chest we go: (this actually is one of the tamer stories from my time with Sun. Some of the REALLY wacko stuff that happened over the years is probably not even fit for a drum corps audience!!!! LOL)

The year: 1981 or 1982. Both years we (Sunrisers) were hired by publisher/Mets owner Nelson Doubleday to do an exhibition at a party he threw for his wealthy friends at a Long Island country club over the 4th of July weekend.

We did a full run-through of our show in uniform, while Mr. Doubleday and friends watched us from on top of a hill, and afterwards we got to chill out and drink some beer that Mr. Doubleday had provided.

So here we are, after our performance, hanging around having a beer or two (or 20.) We notice that there were a number of very expensive cars (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) parked all over the golf course at the country club (the cars driven by the Doubleday group). Unlocked, with the keys still in the cars.

Next thing we know, here comes Dave Whelan, one of our soprano players, driving up to us in one of those expensive cars. "Hop in!" he says. "I'm takin' this for a ride around the golf course!!!!"

My brother Lenny was corps director at the time, and happened to be standing there when Dave drove up. Lenny's response to Dave was basically, WTF are you doing????? Then he realized that Dave was serious about this, and when Dave made his mind up about something (often something illegal) you didn't stand in his way. So Lenny basically told him, "OK, I didn't see this. If you get caught, it's on you."

So off went Dave on his joyride. He didn't get caught.

Later, Lenny was hanging around when a member of the Doubleday party, falling-down drunk, stumbled out to get in his car. The car Dave had, uh, "moved" earlier, now parked in a completely different location. The guy was clueless as to what had happened!!!! "Where's my #### car... I swear I left it right here", etc.

Just another day in paradise!!

Fran

BTW, there's also the "golf ball in the crotch during the performance" story from that very same day. But that shall remain locked up in the Sunriser archives for now!!!!!

Fran is the proper forum to talk about the naked bus rides.

Oscar

:blink:

OK !!

I hope that the youth of America doesn't get the wrong idea, but see this incident from my perspective. I'm in my mid 20's, and I hadn't EVER seen a DCA show, and most of us were a little intimidated from our experiences with Hawthorne and the like, only seeing them a couple of times in the past (Legion shows).

I will be the first to admit that this wasn't the ONLY war story I had, it's just one of the most memorable.

I should mention the '79 show in Hershey, when the Bucs put themselves on top. I still thought the 2 best parts of the show were the Sunrisers drum solo, with the smoke screen in front of the snares, and the strobes insides Hawthorne's bass drums..that was slick! What escapes me is that on the albums, the 11 1/2 minute gun went off at the beginning of Reading's closer, and their closer lasted over 3 minutes. Where was the timing penalty? Did anyone else ever think that was strange?

Pat

Ah...Hershey Stadium. Many great memories there. Fond memories for the Bucs and their fans. We always considered Hershey to be our "home field". The sight of some classic battles (no, not that kind) between the Bucs and Cabs. The Bucs won the show that night, the first victory of the '79 season, and the first time we beat the Cabs in nearly three years! We went on to an 8 or 9 show winning streak, broken by none other than the Cabs. I don't know which victory was sweeter though....that night in June or winning the DCA title on the same field a few weeks later!

Bush and Sky used to practice right accross from each other in Bridgeport

Back to back every year Sean :)

With Cabs most times in front of us on the baseball field...

I always had a great show in Bridgeport...Great DC crowd!

yeah and the fireworks that were set off afterwords...ah the goodtimes

Carlisle in the late 80s or so. The weather was crappy looking all day but the show got started OK. Started to rain but not bad enough to stop the show. Rain really picks up during Steel Citys show and justs becomes a downpour as they start one of the numbers. I didn't pick up on the name of the song until my sister turns to me and says "You've got to be ####### me!". Then I realized SCA ws playing "Stormy Weather".

Next year Steel City was at Carlisle again and the joke was "Hope they're not playing Stormy Weather again". :sshh: