DCA Stories Pre 1990

88 was to be the first year i believe but mother nature kinda rained on that parade.

Nope..... 1988 was still the two-shows-in-one-day format, with prelims and finals scheduled for Sunday of that weekend. But since it rained, the shows were held Monday instead.

I think having Mother Nature disrupt the championships two years in a row ('87 and '88) might have been the catalyst for the format change.

Fran

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:silly:

OK you'se guys!

I don't have any pre 77 stories except for a couple of horror stories from the 72 Legion  nationals in Chitown, but since I noticed Fran was looking in, here's one to jog HIS memories.

MBI went out to Allentown in 77 for its 1st real shot at DCA.  On Sunday morning, we moved en masse to an area about 1/2 mile down the street from ASD (J. Birney Crum) Stadium to get one last run through before Prelims.  As we were marching back to the lot where the busses were, we started hearing a lot of yelling.  As we came around the busses, we saw Hawthorne in one spot, the Sunrisers in another, and in the middle agitating everybody were the Skyliners.

to make a long story short, amongst a cloud of dust, the 3 corps got into it, hands , sticks, flag pikes and rifles were flying everywhere, not to mention the f- bombs.  We all sat on our busses in shock.  I felt bad for Sun. They were the only one of the 3 corps who had women, since Sky and Hawthorne were still all male.  I can't imagine how some of the injured went on for both prelims and Finals that day, but I did see people with black eyes and swollen lips going out for Finals.

That was one of the best shows I remember seeing, as Hawthorne made a big run at Finals, only to fall .05 short.. Sunrisers had a great show too, but what a way to remember my first DCA show. 

Pat

That ain't quite the way I heard it. 3 guys from Sky (Butch Anderson, Wes Myers and one other) were jumped by members of Sun swinging horns and fists and connecting! Cos saw what was going on and turned the Cabs loose to assist 3 very out-numbered Skyliners. That's the version that was told to me, by Cabs and Sky alike. Again, I wasn't there, but that's what I was told. I have no idea what or who instigated the ensuing melee.

Ray

Hey guys, this is STAN, as in that Stan. Personally, I really don't care what people think or swear happened. I was there in '77, so the REAL story won't paint a very pretty picture of N.Y. or the cabs. What u guys need to do is get a grip on yourselves, put it behind you, and accept that the truth may not be what some of you purported experts claim to know. 27 yrs. guys. If this is still such an issue with some, then I guess living in the past is all some of you have.

Hey Stan, how are ya and I agree

Hey guys, this is STAN, as in that Stan. Personally, I really don't care what people think or swear happened. I was there in '77, so the REAL story won't paint a very pretty picture of N.Y. or the cabs. What u guys need to do is get a grip on yourselves, put it behind you, and accept that the truth may not be what some of you purported experts  claim to know. 27 yrs. guys. If this is still such an issue with some, then I guess living in the past is all some of you have.

:silly:

OOOOOOOOUUUUUUURRRRRRR!!!!!!

Hide the children, Stan has found DCP......

Drive in a van

fast as you can

Hi Rich. The "good old days" were different for a lot of reasons. In thinking back, one was that people did not travel nearly as extensively as today and there was not a lot of information available about what was going on in other parts of the country like there is today. As a result, corps did not know a lot about each other except by reputation. As a kid who grew up in a small town in Western PA and starting marching seniors when I was in high school, corps like the Hawthorne Cabs and the New York Skyliners were "legendary". My impression after I saw Hawthorne the first time (1967) was that they all looked about the same age as my father, they all had gray hair, they all had won about 15 American Legion National Championships, and they could all mark time higher and play better than I could.

Part of the game when you go on the field is knowing in your head that you can win. Corps like the Cabs and Sky not only knew that they could win, but they went out of their way at times to help you understand that you had no chance against them, on the field or off.

An example from my personal experience came during the 1973 DCA preliminary competition in Rochester NY. There was a corps on the field. Lined up under the back stands waiting to go on next in order of appearance were Hurricanes, my corps (Hamburg Kingsmen) and Skyliners. Being sandwiched between Hurcs and Sky was intimidating enough. After the Hurcs went out on the field and were getting toward the end of their performance, we gathered around into a huddle for the typical rah-rah speech, let's go do a great show, etc. A bunch of Skyliners pushed their way in and started mocking us, saying things like "Oh, you guys are really great" in a very condescending way. All a head game. The bottom line was that no one from our corps did anything because we knew they would kill us if we reacted. I remember thinking "Isn't it time for us to get out on the field and away from these guys"?

As fate would have it I wound up marching Skyliners many years later (2000). The old-timers laugh about how they were able to intimidate other corps - it was all a game to them, and man they were good at it. For another story you can look at the one I posted in the "Favorite DCA Stories" thread in the regular senior forum about the famous 1972 Ithaca NY post-show party.

I played hockey during high school and in a couple of men's leagues in Buffalo after I got out of college. One of my favorite sport's quotes comes from the legendary Gordie Howe. When asked about the violence in professional hockey, Gordie replied "It's a man's game". I suppose the same was true for DCA back in the day - it was a man's game, and boys trying to play the man's game didn't get too far.

I really admire what you folks have accomplished with Renegades and wish you all the best in competition this year.

Hey guys, this is STAN, as in that Stan. Personally, I really don't care what people think or swear happened. I was there in '77, so the REAL story won't paint a very pretty picture of N.Y. or the cabs. What u guys need to do is get a grip on yourselves, put it behind you, and accept that the truth may not be what some of you purported experts  claim to know. 27 yrs. guys. If this is still such an issue with some, then I guess living in the past is all some of you have.

Hi Stan. Nice to see you posting ANYWHERE. You've been quiet MUCH TOO long.

As for that fiasco back in '77 in Allentown, as I remember there WAS more then is being said here regarding what actually occurred. As Fran Haring stated the 2 that could best supply the most accurate discription would be Butch and Tommy Heumann. The only thing I remember from that afternoon following Prelims was being shoved onto the bus by Neuhoff and him telling the bus driver to "Get back to the hotel NOW". As I looked out of the window of the bus all I saw was Butch, Meyers and Ronnie in the middle of a melee and watching the Cabs coming down the hill to help those 3. In retrospect (as well as what I suspect after hearing from some people who knew EXACTLY WHY this incident occurred) I think that there was some type of "setup" perpetrated by a member of the NYS Corps. One of the major reasons why I think there was a "set-up" is because Neuhoff shoved me on the bus BEFORE the Cabs started down the hill to help Butch, Meyers and Ronnie.

As I recall, the Sunrisers weren't very well like back then. Why, I have NO clue. But I remember they had this big, gigantic picture of a baby sitting in a high-chair with a bowl of spaghetti dumped over his head hanging on the side ot their equipment truck. Don't know if that had anything to do with anything.

And you are very correct in that if there are those who still want to "debate" who did what to who, they do need to get a life. My only reason for rehashing the story is for reminiscing purposes ONLY. It's over and done with. Thinking back, the only thing I was ###### off at was the bus driver refused to stop the bus and let me out so I could "partake" in the festivities. :silly:

At any rate, I'm REALLY looking forward to this coming weekend in Wildwood when I am once again reunited with you and Dan when we do the Archie thing again.

Listen I know this is an old DCA story thread but I wanted to share it anyway.

Its about the "Battle of Dover"in 1969. Iknow its not DCA, but a great old story anyway.I hope Deb isn't too upset. this is one of the reasons being a Bridgemen is more than just playing a brass horn and wearing a uniform!!

This is written by Deb K. a former DM in the ST. Andrews Corps.

"The battlefield in Dover is still there, by the way. Tom and I comment about the melee almost every time we pass the site. For a little more background.........in the summer of '69 the corps had just captured it's second consecutive Garden State Circuit title & were starting to celebrate the victory, after retreat, in the area between our buses.

The other corps were still exiting when a rival competitor, St. Martins, rounds off the track & starts marching in parade formation heading right between our buses (unfortunately we were all packed in the way).

Well, they keep coming at full cadence, but the drumline is in the front & the guard is in the rear (not a good sign that congratulations were coming). Anyway, no one was moving out of the way so there was nothing else to do but wait for the first collision and then all #### broke loose.

This was an all-out street fight with some equipment thrown in the mix. Even the adults were involved between fighting & strong-arming our members onto the adjacent buses; but the guys were hoping out of the windows to get back into the fray. Thus the fighting didn't last only a few minutes......it kept on going. When things finally settled a few folks were hurt badly enough to warrant a trip to Dover General.

And the day wasn't over..........somehow one of the buses sustained a broken front windshield & on the way home, rear-ended the bus in front (and since it wasn't a love-tap) there were a few more injuries.

End of story - .not quite.... for about 2 weeks there was word that a number of St. Martin's members were coming to St. Andrew's to "settle things" so every night the chapel was packed. Even the Bayonne police were alerted about potential trouble & got involved. Eventually things blew over & it would be the last year that we marched in that Circuit."

God, ya know this is just one small story in the history of an organization I would give my last breath for.

Edited by johnric

Listen I know this is an old DCA story thread but I wanted to share it anyway.

Its about the "Battle of Dover"in 1969. Iknow its not DCA, but a great old story anyway.I hope Deb isn't too upset. this is one of the reasons being a Bridgemen is more than just playing a brass horn and wearing a uniform!!

This is written by Deb K. a former DM in the ST. Andrews Corps.

"The battlefield in Dover is still there, by the way. Tom and I comment about the melee almost every time we pass the site. For a little more background.........in the summer of '69 the corps had just captured it's second consecutive Garden State Circuit title & were starting to celebrate the victory, after retreat, in the area between our buses.

The other corps were still exiting when a rival competitor, St. Martins, rounds off the track & starts marching in parade formation heading right between our buses (unfortunately we were all packed in the way).

Well, they keep coming at full cadence, but the drumline is in the front & the guard is in the rear (not a good sign that congratulations were coming). Anyway, no one was moving out of the way so there was nothing else to do but wait for the first collision and then all #### broke loose.

This was an all-out street fight with some equipment thrown in the mix. Even the adults were involved between fighting & strong-arming our members onto the adjacent buses; but the guys were hoping out of the windows to get back into the fray. Thus the fighting didn't last only a few minutes......it kept on going. When things finally settled a few folks were hurt badly enough to warrant a trip to Dover General.

And the day wasn't over..........somehow one of the buses sustained a broken front windshield & on the way home, rear-ended the bus in front (and since it wasn't a love-tap) there were a few more injuries.

End of story - .not quite.... for about 2 weeks there was word that a number of St. Martin's members were coming to St. Andrew's to "settle things" so every night the chapel was packed. Even the Bayonne police were alerted about potential trouble & got involved. Eventually things blew over & it would be the last year that we marched in that Circuit."

God, ya know this is just one small story in the history of an organization I would give my last breath for.

Who's John Riccardi? :silly: