DCA Stories Pre 1990

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While waiting outside the buses after finals, a few of our members went up to their buses while they were pulling out and started banging on the windows and saying pleasant good-byes. Someone threw a mini bottle of champagne and busted a window on their bus. I think they broke the record for fastest time a corps could come off retreat, load up and leave. It was all bad blood carried over from 1977

The ironic thing was in 1979 at DCI North, we came off the field and it was really hot and we had no water. They came over and gave us water and were really nice to us. Both corps hung out for awhile and even one guy from our corps and one from theirs who were college friends switched uniforms and came walking around the corner and had everyone floored.

After that, all was forgotten.

Jim Dugan

Bayonne

78-81 Snare

1977 Bridgeport Conn. After the Sunrisers final run through, my dad brings a "few" friends over to our car to sing happy birthday. 128 sweaty people singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY as monotone and as LOUD as possible. I look back now (after $30,000 worth of therapy) and realize it is one of my fondest memories. Got to take the trophy home too. :silly:

Edited by Gene Bennett3rd

1984, Danville show.

a bunch of mostly Shore alumni are hanging out in the lot behind the stadium pre show. And, well you know what happens there.

the Marines go marching by, and a loud "The Marine Corps sucks" is yelled from our area. No one says much, the corps goes by, and the party resumes.

less than 3 minutes later, Rich Templin turns around to find himself surrounded by oh, 20 Marines at parade rest. he asks if he could help them, and they ask why he yelled the marine corps sucked. Rich says he didnt say it, and is confused why they chose him.

they said because whoever yelled it had 2 beers in his hand as Rich did at that moment. now Rich is...well, lets just say he weighs a lot less.

finally, my dad, himself a former Marine, lets Rich stop sweating, and admites he yelled and why, even gave his dates(dad didnt go in willingly).

to this day, whenever they are at a show together, my dad, if he sees the Marines informs Rich he's gonna yell again, and Rich begs him to spare his life :P

1984, Danville show.

a bunch of mostly Shore alumni are hanging out in the lot behind the stadium pre show. And, well you know what happens there.

the Marines go marching by, and a loud "The Marine Corps sucks" is yelled from our area. No one says much, the corps goes by, and the party resumes.

less than 3 minutes later, Rich Templin turns around to find himself surrounded by oh, 20 Marines at parade rest. he asks if he could help them, and they ask why he yelled the marine corps sucked. Rich says he didnt say it, and is confused why they chose him.

they said because whoever yelled it had 2 beers in his hand as Rich did at that moment. now Rich is...well, lets just say he weighs a lot less.

finally, my dad, himself a former Marine, lets Rich stop sweating, and admites he yelled and why, even gave his dates(dad didnt go in willingly).

to this day, whenever they are at a show together, my dad, if he sees the Marines informs Rich he's gonna yell again, and Rich begs him to spare his life :P

would have loved to see that one!

1974 DCA Finals, my first season, first finals and second show I could actually watch the whole thing. My buddy and I are standing at the front of the field near the end zone watching the show with members of the Boys of '76. In the middle of the Crusaders show someone throws a beer bottle from the stands and it lands on the field. Now this is stupid because (1) throwing a beer bottle is stupid and (2) Finals are in Rochester and he just threw a bottle at the home town corps.

Cops show up and yell "Who threw that". At that about 50-75 people in the stands point at the guy who threw the bottle. Cops go tearing into the stands and drag (literally) the guy out as he's too bombed to walk. I'm barely 17 years old and for about the 100th time wonder just what the #### I got myself into.

I remember walking out to the bus in my SCV uniform in the parking lot after finals in Denver '78. 3 guys in Banana uniforms walk up to me and plunk down a guy in a Phantom uniform down at my feet. I'm a little nervouse and let them know I'm looking for my bus. Not knowing what this is about. They also presented me with a t-shirt that said 'Phantom Sucks' designed in a cryptic typographic way. I had know idea what it was all about. I just said 'cool' and got the heck out of dodge.

I heard something about Phantoms color guard were mean phat cows from a former drum instructor and would kick the crap out any corps who gave them the one eye. Maybe something was said at retreat.

Mom

:blink:

DOES ANYONE WONDER WHAT '78 IN DENVER HAS TO DO WITH PRE 1990 "DCA" STORIES???

Lat time I checked the last time there was ANY kind of a "senior show" in Denver was the 1976 Legion Nationals, with like 3 corps.

Please refer DCI stories to the proper format/thread.

Pat

PS - Sorry gang, I just get bent when people forget how to read and comprehend!

:sshh:

To Stan:

Thanks for adding to the fray about the 77 DCA incident.. It was never my intention to even attempt to place blame anywhere, I just thought it was an unusual occurrance, far from anything I had seen before.. I agree with those that say it's time to move on, and if I caused any problems by bringing this up,

SORRY!

I'll always remember that, and it was still one of the best DCA's I have ever seen.

See y'all in Scranton!!

The Midwest Antagonizer ( is that like Central Scrutinizer?)

It was a DCI story told by several DCA members.Close enuf for me. :P