Freelancers in 1985.

Did anyone else like the Freelancers show in 1985. They had a cool soprano line feature called Bells, I think, and the Sopranoes really did a good job sounding like bells. :rolleyes: I also remember their color guard with those velcro uniforms that they rearranged throughout the show. I liked watching them almost as much as the VK Cymbal Players. ^0^

Very good solid corps back then.

I liked their show when I saw it on tape a while ago. I loved the choir part at the very beginning and musically, the rest of the show was also pretty good, especially the very end of it. Visually, I didn't really go for the changing uniforms, though, because while they were TRYING to show mood changes, I don't think they were especially effective at that (that's what the guard's for imo), and also because somebody would ALWAYS miss a cue for one and flip the flap early or late, and also I remember a couple times where one accidently flipped over on its own.

The music of Michele Colombier....Wings, Minotaur, Bells.....it wasnt just the guard with those changing uniforms it was the entire corps......a somewhat cumbersome effect, but a great show nontheless.

It took all year to get that show off the ground, complete with the stages, but I think by finals it worked pretty well, a little sloppy, but a very pleasing show.

~G~

And I have those uniform tops at home! Pacific Sound (which became the San Diego Earthquake) got them from Freelancers and traded them to Nightfire for a single mellophone.

I have the guard pants and the majority of the tops. The top is actually a 2 piece affair...a really cheaply made blast short (with a stiff high collar like a standard cadet uni, unfuniished sleeves (since they were inside gauntlets anyway)) and the part that changed color is like the pages in a book with 2 leaves. The "hinge" is a seam down the center line of the chest.

They have names written in the vests, so if anyone who marched that show wants the top, drop me a line.

I liked their show when I saw it on tape a while ago. I loved the choir part at the very beginning and musically, the rest of the show was also pretty good, especially the very end of it. Visually, I didn't really go for the changing uniforms, though, because while they were TRYING to show mood changes, I don't think they were especially effective at that (that's what the guard's for imo), and also because somebody would ALWAYS miss a cue for one and flip the flap early or late, and also I remember a couple times where one accidently flipped over on its own.

Different eras mate. The eighties werent so much about trying to convey emotion as much as the were about trying to blow your face off!!! Dont watch this show and try to read too much into it. That said, Born Again (the Off The Line) is and will continue to be one of my all time favorite openers.

That said, Born Again (the Off The Line) is and will continue to be one of my all time favorite openers.

You sure you aren't thinking of '84 when "With You I'm Born Again" was their closer? I don't ever remember them playing that off the line unless we're thinking of different songs.

In '85 they played all Michael Colombie (Immanuel, The Minotaur, The Island, The Forest and Bells)

I marched in 84 and Born again was the closer. I started in 85 but I hated the platforms and the uniforms. I just could not get into it. We had a major change in staff as Frank and Shirlee Diorttee (I know I spelled that wrong) came on board. Everything changed so much and I was bummed out. I had a great two years though.

I marched in 84 and Born again was the closer. I started in 85 but I hated the platforms and the uniforms. I just could not get into it. We had a major change in staff as Frank and Shirlee Diorttee (I know I spelled that wrong) came on board. Everything changed so much and I was bummed out. I had a great two years though.

You weren't the black guy with the white hair, were you?

Loved the show, could've done without the ramps, though.

My favorite Freelancer's shows were 82-84. They had a lot of style and attitude. ^OO^