Are Dynasty drums any good?

LuvsPAisTe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snares take alot to make them sound good. Basses never sound good outside. Tenors sound great.

The weight and carriers of these drums are just outragious for highschoolers...big down side IMO.

Give me a Pearl drum anyday....though I am starting to see some good in Yamaha.

Try and get your hands on some clips of bdb 05. Freelancers 04 is an alright example of the dynasty bass sound. But bdb 05 had, hands down, the best sounding dynasty bass drums that ive ever heard. Actually, the best sounding bass drums ive ever heard. And i didn't tune them, so im not yanking my own chain.......

Try and get your hands on some clips of bdb 05. Freelancers 04 is an alright example of the dynasty bass sound. But bdb 05 had, hands down, the best sounding dynasty bass drums that ive ever heard. Actually, the best sounding bass drums ive ever heard. And i didn't tune them, so im not yanking my own chain.......

the best sounding Dynasty drums is one thing...Dev's sounded better with Yamaha....

I am not experienced with Dynasty at all, but I really dislike the sound Devs are getting with them. Maybe it really is the tuning, but I saw BD rehearse at their Mars facility a couple summers ago, and I thought they sounded totally choked and way too high in pitch. At the time, I wondered why BD's instructors would tune that way - surely they must know the sound is not that great (my opinion, yes, but still).

In general, I think the Pearl and Yamaha lines sound better from line to line and year to year. I remember Phantom changed from a really high pitched sound to a slightly lower, "looser" sound in maybe '04, and I liked that a lot. You could hear the snare voice a lot better, and it was on Pearls. It supports the idea that tuning does make a lot of the difference.

Regarding the "all drums sound the same" comment above, I don't think that is true. We switched drums from Slingerland to Premier after the 84 season, and the Premiers had a totally dry sound with the same heads and the same guys doing the tuning, and mostly the same line. It's in the wood, the hardware, the coatings, the technique and various other variables that a sound comes from. They can't NOT be different.

At any rate, I loved the Slingerland-with-mylar sound in the early 80s. That's music to my ears - so rich - and recently, I love the fact that some of the recent lines seem to be trying not to crank the snot out of the drums, and going for a slightly wetter sound.

Gotta stop all this ranting. My age is showing!!!

Hey, scvfan, I understand and agree with your approach! Let's take it a step further, though. I would use:

- Slingerland Cut-a-Way quads (@ 1982) with uncrimped Remo PinStripes, size 8-10-12-14'. I still have a set of these that has NEVER had a broken lug casing, tension rod, or hoop. The things project like nothing else ever designed!

- Slingerland TDR snare drums (14") with Ludwig Silver Dot heads.

- Ludwig Marching Tympani (with four or five huge guys to carry them). At least for the opener, just for effect (a la Phantom Regiment 1979).

Totally! Slingerland all the way!

Quadman - what a great corps Freelancers had - it must have been a gas to march those seasons! Some of my favorite stuff!

Pioneer was the first to use Dynasty with a sponsorship/promo type thing (92-93)....then Magic...but Dev's took it to be a total Dynasty corps (horns+perc)....the first few years, Dev's had problems in quality...like all "we are here to stay" companies, dynasty will improve their equipment, product line and service contracts. (very similar to how yamaha in the mid to late 80's did it...they also started with very sub-standard products)

Presently, Dynasty equipment (battery and keyboards) are a lot to be desired...but give em time, they will join Yamaha and Pearl very soon....honorable mention:Ludwig/Muesser (correct spelling is Müsser)...i think their newer product line out ranks dynasty's present.

the big three/four: Yamaha, Pearl, Ludwig...sometimes Premier.

I believe Blue Devils used double Dynasty with double snares. You know the kind with snare guts under the top head. Really cuts. The exposure is much greater as well.

Mom

I believe Blue Devils used double Dynasty with double snares. You know the kind with snare guts under the top head. Really cuts. The exposure is much greater as well.

Mom

the exposure to error is greater as well....not condusive for what they are trying to do, but if you say they are using them....(Star used them in 1989 and really did well with the pipe band type notation...they almost won drums)