DCA Championship Prelim/Final Review

The Renegades - where to start? First of all, the remaining corps were too large to count easily, with horn sections in the mid-50s to mid-60s. And with all that was going on in this show, who has time to count heads? From my vantage point at ground level, I could not believe what I was seeing. The entire hornline jumping up and down in unison like an alien cult - while playing? While playing well? If there was only one thing I could show someone from the entire DCA weekend, that would be it right there. The show reminds me of the movie "Bachelor Party" - an orgy of ideas too numerous to take in all at once. Megaphones, Doppler effect, screaming sopranos every 40 seconds, lots of leather, loud brass, Duplos, louder brass, fishnet stockings, the Renebike, G-bugle-loud brass, whips and chains, good vs. evil....the most fun a person can have without a hangover the next morning. Oh, but did they ever get around to cleaning this show? Um, actually, yes. The lush brass sounds of the ballad are unlike any other senior corps, resembling vintage SCV (circa 1989). Drums had numerous section and ensemble issues over the course of the season, but what a difference seven weeks can make (there's that number again). After the ballad Saturday, the drums found that zone and started nailing nearly everything. Sunday, they performed the whole show at that level.

--------------

Audio...

Thank you for the kind comments. We worked our butts off this year. The first standing O at the first applause break during Prelims made all that work worthwhile. It's very satisfying to know we nailed our goal to entertain the crowd ... in an overwhelming way B)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kilties had to follow the sparkplug corps from the opposite side of the globe.  Racine, WI, isn't exactly right around the corner, either, and the Kilties (42B/15FP/8PP/17G) showed that they have been working to make their trip worthwhile.  After a nice opening fanfare, the corps is saddled with one of the dullest charts I've ever heard on a football field, with the same soprano solo repeated three times.  Like it or not, though, this number demonstrated some nicely refined brass playing.  The horns were consistent performers throughout the show.  Percussion ensemble is still a weak subject for the corps, but again, progress was evident from earlier in the season.  A large and contemporary auxiliary is a major addition to the unit's arsenal.  Finishing last in open-class was not the outcome I expected for them, and the four-point spread they trailed by just added insult to injury.

1.  Regions:  DCA Midwest and DCA West must be established immediately, or whatever acceptable substitutes can ensure contests are established in these regions using DCA sheets.  Then, the championship judging panels will have to hit the road and see all the corps of different regions during the year. 

2.  Judges:  DCA should be training qualified judges in the other regions to support this propagation of DCA shows from coast to coast.  The best of these judges, in turn, should start to appear in championship panels, so that the "world championship" panel actually draws judges from diverse locations.

Youve done a fair assessment of the 2004 Kilties, thanks. Including the part about utter shock about being 14th. While top 10 may have not been in the cards, we WILL be there next year. The hornline will continue to improve under Jerry Kelsey and we'll keep that controlled sound but we're planning on ripping some faces off as well! Battery, pit and guard all have a great foundation for next year!

In complete agreement with you about the establishment of DCA Midwest and West. The sooner this happens the quicker us non easterners will quit our pissing and moaning. Until we're all on the same page judging wise, there will always be valid concerns about the placings of a Renegades or MBI or Kilties. This in no way takes anything away from Empire or any of the other fabulous corps this year.

Edited by dans24103

remember Dan, this midwest corps ALL have to embrace it...and after this year, the midwest is 3/4 of the way there

Thanks for the review.

Just to set the record correct, The Kilties marched 45 brass, 18 color guard (2 could not attend), 15 1/4 field percussion (one stacked bass drum B) ) 8 pit, 2 DM's, and an Honor Guard of 9 (2 could not make it). All one dedicated family of members with hearts as big as watermelons and plaid all over!!

.............The Kilties Open House to commence the 2005 season is Sunday, November 14th, at Gilmore Middle School in Racine. Begins at NOON.

remember Dan, this midwest corps ALL have to embrace it...and after this year, the midwest is 3/4 of the way there

I thought when there are three DCA attendees, then you can create the circuit. Well, us, MBI, and Govies! Is this not right?

We weren't sure if we should play "Show Me" and were discussing it when there seemed to be a huge amount of dead air as the corps left and the Empire set up their victory concert. It seemed to be the right thing to do. For us, it's a tribute to the Govies of the past and has become sort of a theme song over the years. We even played it at Pat Mayer's funeral a couple of years ago.

we loved it, we were singing along. Many Bushwackers seemed to be digging it, too! a small kick line, I think? :P

Before it petered down to just the Bushwackers, it was CorpsVets, Grenadiers, AND the Bushwackers colorguard kicking their legs high! That was THE most fun I have had at Retreat EVER!! :)

Edited by Sabrediva

maybe i was under the impression all 4 had to join in the fun.

Last year DCA South started out with 3 competing corps: CV, Gold, and Heat Wave. I'm not sure if GCS was among the competitors, but they were there.

maybe i was under the impression all 4 had to join in the fun.

Last year DCA South started out with 3 competing corps: CV, Gold, and Heat Wave. I'm not sure if GCS was among the competitors, but they were there.

The Original DCA South was formed with the following corps : Heat Wave, Corps Vets and Carolina Gold, during the DCA Winter meetings in 2003.It was first brought to the table at the DCA Fal meeting at the end of the 2002 season. Shenandoah Sound was added on in the summer of 2003, when they competed at the first DCA South regionals. Since then more Southern based Corps have popped up , so it has expanded quite a bit.In the meeting with DCA officials, myself and Jeff Pastor, there were " commitment obligations " put in place by the DCA BOD and member corps for DCA South to work.

We could host shows in our area with a minimum of 3 DCA corps to qualitfy as sanctioned shows (just like up North) , we had to use judges certified and provided by DCA, AND..a big AND...we had to participate in a minimum of 2 DCA shows up North for the DCA membership to recognize DCASouth as a viable extension or region of DCA. The first year (2003) regional shows were not counted as part of the money split nor did our score for prelims placement if a show was in the South in August, if the region worked and did as agreed, then the split and scores would be counted during the 2nd year. (2004)

So just having Corps from a region show up at DCA is a help, but more participation must be made by those Corps for the DCA members and Board to consider a region.

Hope this helps

Well heck...wioth that rationale DCA West already has most of the pieces in place...3 sr corps, all three at at least 2 shows...and we use the West Coast Showdown as our title fight...maybe that could be a DCA show.

Can you imagine BD "C" scored on DCA sheets?? heh