How did Santa Clara win in 89?

SCV wasnt as good as 88 as an overall show...many to this day contend SCV should have been gone due to the overage controversy. I see their point as well as SCV's.

Because, of course, SCV's staff should have been able to decect falsified documents that were good enough to fool US Customs & Immigrations, right? Weren't the guys in question sacked as soon as the corps discovered what the situation was?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, of course, SCV's staff should have been able to decect falsified documents that were good enough to fool US Customs & Immigrations, right?  Weren't the guys in question sacked as soon as the corps discovered what the situation was?

That'sm how I heard it...Gail found out about it and during a rehersal break confronted the 2 guys...they were gone that day.

Thsi si not a case of a corps knowingly marching overage members...it's a case of deliberate falsification of official docs that not only fooled people who trusted the members to provide accurate and truthful info (SCV), but also US Immigration...amd possibly British authorities as well (since that's where the guys came from)

Argue all you want about SCV vs PR in 89...but the overage guys were not a factor....it could even be argued that the resulting holes in SCV's drill was an additional handicap.

For my money...should'a been Regiment, tho

I have thought about a tie in 89 for a long time. Devs were having a good run until...well, you know. Garfield blew me away that year. I wasn't into the Cavies. Suncoast was great and deserved Kudos just for making it to KC.

About this drum thing...SCV had some problems that night as did the Regiment. Vanguard had them up front in my opinion, but both had some field issues. Star had a nice battery that night.

Flip a coin...too late now.

I was there. Side one, second level under the overhang type deal if I recall correctly.

Mike

I just watched my video of 1989 because I of the new Phantom of the Opera movie. I used to skip over SCVs Show because I saw it so much during the season live. I really enjoyed Phatom Regiments show but I would always skip over the middle part of their show...Mainly the 2nd movement of Dvorak's 9th symphony....I know people liked the jazzed up thing but it really turned me off. But both show's endings were very exciting and still give me goosebumps. In my opinion I thought both shows had their problems but the Jazzed up 2nd movement just pushed my vote to SCV...I know that they did it well but It is just my opinion.

SCV 88 was far supierior to the 89 winning show,in my humble opinion.The horn line from 89 was dirty i thought,just listen to the solo's,especially the sop solo from 89,really bright,borderline sharp.

Just not as much power and passion as 88,just compare music of the night company fronts from both years.You will be in no doubt.

Im not baggin' on SCV,only my opinion.

PS Just watched SCV 2000....now thats what i call a show,love that Bartok stuff.

Its been over 15 years...SCV won now quit your #####'n. I can think of quite a few years where SCV should of won. Its all a part of the game!

I guess the only ones invited to the "game", at least at that time, were BD, SCV, & Cadets? What "Game" are you talking about? You know, you're right, I think they should have won in 1978!

Rocketman - I'm taking my ball and going home! Game over!

ampssuck

I'm not going to pass judgement, but I will say this -- how many of the people complaining that SCV should not have won were there in Kansas City on the night of DCI Open Class Finals?  Can you really determine that one corps was or was not 0.4 better than another by watching them on DVD or video tape?

I was there, although I can't site exact seat location. :P

I feel that Phantom should have won. Not because I'm biased but because I feel that they were better overall. And just to prove how unbiased I am, I still don't get how Phantom won tied in '96. I'm not bagging on anyone who marched that show, maybe it was just beyond my grasp, but I never saw it as a championship show, not compared to some other shows that the corps put out and which I felt should have won. *cough* '79 *cough*

I also feel that SCV's '88 show should have won. And some of the "politics" comments here kind of reinforce the feelings I have about what happened in '88 and '89.

This act of tacky, tasteless, disgraceful, repugnant, disgusting, awful writing should have given them a 0 in GE. 

Nice bit of hyperbole...but no. You'd think the design staff killed someone from your shopping list of adjectives. Implicit in using such a list to describe what is essentially your opinion is merely a put-down of everyone that enjoyed the show.

BTW...the melody you're ranting about has been treated to a number of popular adaptations over the years. Sinatra did one, for instance. I think Regiment was doing more of a read of the popular version than the classical original. If you examine the arrangement in light of the work's popular treatments, it's not nearly so shocking.

At any rate, I think you are overstating the controversial nature of the show's programming, considering that the judges that were rating the program and its performance no doubt knew that the melody from Dvorak had been used popularly.