some old corps photos

In MY day, we had camps in the Sahara and were given rocks to suck on! ...aaaaaaaaaaand WE LIKED IT!

Man, I'm a wimp! I thought the camps in Blythe, CA -- in the middle of the Mojave Desert -- back in the late 70's with VK were tough. Average temp of about 115, but it was a "dry" heat. :unsure:

That's NOTHING compared to the Sahara. Must'a been a helluva bus ride!

Man, I'm a wimp! I thought the camps in Blythe, CA -- in the middle of the Mojave Desert -- back in the late 70's with VK were tough. Average temp of about 115, but it was a "dry" heat. :unsure:

That's NOTHING compared to the Sahara. Must'a been a helluva bus ride!

In my day, all shows were on uphill fields in 100 degree heat - and SNOW!

We had rats and sand fleas on our practice parking lot. Zayre's department store was around the corner and had a large fountain drink (za-rex style) for under a buck. That was our hydration. The bug juice only appeared on tour. Behind Northgate it was "bring it or die" with water... Many members were sacrificed to dehydration.

The other photo from that 1977 Wisconsin State Journal issue. Left is me, middle is Perry Smith, the guy who did the bulk of the bari solos from 77-80, and Jeff "Fish" Troudt. Directly left and a bit behind Jeff is Todd Ryan later of Blue Devils fame.

77_maya.jpg

OK folks. I stumbled upon these while perusing an old associate's Facebook. He has given me permission to copy and share. These are all from Whitewater. He says he took them a few years in a row and I didn't have time to share my analysis. Keep in mind that this was a couple of years before I came to the activity, but I'm pretty sure these are all from 1983 (note the same non-dress-code field judge in most of the pix :tongue: ) Anyhow, enough of the chit chat.

27th Lancers (you guys will recognize the corps, but for thread searchability purposes, I am including the names).

27.jpg

Blue Devils

BD.jpg

Bridgemen

Bridgemen.jpg

Garfield

Garfield.jpg

Madison

Madison.jpg

Phantom Regiment

Phantomsnares.jpg

Santa Clara Vanguard

SCV.jpg

To be continued ...

Spirit Of Atlanta

SOA.jpg

Sky Ryders

Sky.jpg

Suncoast Sound

Suncoast.jpg

Freelancers

freelancers.jpg

He says he has more. If so, I will try and share promptly.

We had rats and sand fleas on our practice parking lot. Zayre's department store was around the corner and had a large fountain drink (za-rex style) for under a buck. That was our hydration. The bug juice only appeared on tour. Behind Northgate it was "bring it or die" with water... Many members were sacrificed to dehydration.

I used to get ragged on alot about my southern accent by my fellow Lancers but I got my own personal revenge whenever we'd go into the south for some shows. They couldn't handle the heat plus the horrible humidity. I used to RAG them about sucking it up. :laughing:

We still had the famous "bug juice" when I marched as well.

Yes we marched at Northgate as well. It's funny now a beautiful hotel towers over the spot. I wanted to see if there were still paint marks from spray paint when I went by there recently. We always had to bring soap or spray paint for drill practice. FUN! :doh: