some old corps photos

Yo Puppet - us east coast folks seemed to use harnesses with counterweights. I know BAC did, 27th did, and apparently St Rita's did.

The west coast was using snare straps and carried them high onto their chests - especially evident with SCV and Kingsmen. I could not imagine what my back would be like carrying them up high. I think the harness/counter weight worked well.

27th ditched the harnesses for the 1977 season and went to straps. They always kept a leg in front to lean over and take a break.

I know our guys didn't use counterweights, (Carmen wouldn't have put up with that for esoteric reasons - at the time each section of the drum line had specific places to be on the field to enhance the sound of the horn line - these guys didn't just bang on the drums they placed a compliment of notes that match certain sections of the horn line - Hy and Eric put in a lot time designing those parts.)

As an aside, they also played on each other's drums and to me it was always amazing how they tuned and re tuned and played and still kept the drill together. They were very orchestral and as a guy who played French Horn (Horn in "F" as opposed to "Eb") in the NYC All City Orchestra and Music and Art High School Orchestra, I knew what Tympani should sound like.

Very effective during this final push to the stands at the end of our Ride of the Valkeries OTL

RideOfTheValkeries1972.jpg

I think they used a combination of snare straps that went under their uniforms - another thing Carmen insisted on for the uniform look - and never seemed bothered by the weight. The chest high thing always confused me, though. Thanks for the insight.

Puppet

Do you have any Troopers drum line 1981-83. I marched bass #5 The big boy it's been a long time since I've seen these corps let alone Troopers thanx for sharing

81 Troopers

81-troop.jpg

Wow....Tom and Ralph are drumming at their knees compared to everyone else!!

So, what does that do to the line, Sam? Look at the level of the drums. They all match. Visually, very appealing. And by the time that picture was taken, Ralph was used to it from VK and one previous Kingsmen season, and Tom was used to it at Lynwood Diplomats.

Did it affect their playing? Not really. They made the adjustment and the line was clean.

Garry in Vegas

Which makes me ask the question: Why are most of the tympani players I've seen posted throughout this thread marching with the drums like up to their chests? How could they get their arms to the pitch rotator with any speed and strength? And: Wasn't it uncomfortable that way?

Tymps72.jpg

Or maybe it their harnesses. Can I get a hint out there?

Puppet

I can tell that having it chest high allowed one to get the weight of it a bit more over the hips which takes pressure off the lower back. Playing and cranking were never a problem.

Do you have any Troopers drum line 1981-83. I marched bass #5 The big boy it's been a long time since I've seen these corps let alone Troopers thanx for sharing

Here you go, big fella. Whitewater 81. Liked this show a lot. The 'Cowboys' rim shots off the line are some of the best ever.

Troopers81_02.jpg

Troopers81_01.jpg

I also have the HI MOM visual from 'Wabash Cannonball' in 82 but I have to find it.

So, what does that do to the line, Sam? Look at the level of the drums. They all match. Visually, very appealing.

Garry....stop treating the comment like it was a critique....I KNOW that due to their height, they had to wear the drums low...otherwise everyone else would be drumming up at their shoulders....it was just an observation...

The tymps were supported by a carved block of wood worn around the waist..... snip...

LOL We used to lovingly call those "C***(male chicken) Blocks"

Esch...what years did you march SCV timps? The time I first noticed SCV timpani (circa 77-78), they were carrying the Slingerland drums on harnesses, lower height, midway between chest and navel. These would have been the red drums with the white chevron type shape on the front half. Any idea of when SCV made the change from the high profile to the (slightly) lower?

Garry....stop treating the comment like it was a critique....I KNOW that due to their height, they had to wear the drums low...otherwise everyone else would be drumming up at their shoulders....it was just an observation...

Well, if you KNEW that...

Garry in Vegas