crossmenback.JPG

BONES IS IN THE HOOOOOOUSE!

These are from 78 prelims in Boulder.

scv78.jpg

scv78-2.jpg

Wow, I love this show! :grouphug:

This is the Kingsmen in 78 I think.

kingsmen.JPG

Yep I think that IS us in 78. The mello with the soprano hanging from his belt I think is Tim Martin or Brad White. Dunno when we swtiched from white gloves to black tho. Those were also brand new slingerland drums that they painted AK blue on the insides. :)

Edited by PaNors77

Played around with this photo a bit and zoomed in on these two Oakie flag gals; I'm about 99 percent certain that I'm the one on the right. The gal on the left might be Joanne Spillman; she was one of the three of us who came up from Indiana.

1978allentown6a.jpg

Question for guys who marched keyboards:

I know the vibes and the marimba were heavy; but how were the xylophones and glockenspiel? Were they easy to march with?

I know the vibes and the marimba were heavy; but how were the xylophones and glockenspiel? Were they easy to march with?

I marched a Ludwig Kelon xylophone with a fiberglass vest in high school band; I remember it being pretty heavy. It altered my stride I know, everything was from the pelvis to keep pressure off the small of the back.There's a lot of parts in there, wood, metal, plastic. It adds up. Not like hauling timpani around, but still a chore.

Ahh, they weren't that bad. During rehearsal, I'd get to take the resonators off, which lightened the load considerably.

I'd take 'em over a contra or euphonium any day. :P

Vibes were a bear, as gangly as they were heavy. Marimba and xylo were no biggie once you were used to it. Glock was quite a bit lighter than a snare drum, especially the aluminum Mussers. Between drum corps and high school-college marching bands, I've marched snare, multi-tenors, bass drums, roto-toms, timbales/bongos, tymps, xylo, marimba, and vibes. Marimba and xylo felt similar to tenors or a mid sized bass drum. I still carry a marimba today for some occasions. Vibes and the bigger tymps were in a league of their own along with the biggest bass drums. Bass drums are just as bad as any because they are worn high on the body and the center of gravity is well out in front.

And Mike Braga, What's the deal not carrying any chimes along with that 3 octave concert vibe? Slacker! :)

I think I remember someone from Wausau Story on here.

wausau.jpg

wausau-2.jpg