some old corps photos

Eh, I just wanted post # 16001 on page # 1601.

So there!

:withstupid:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

1971 Alabama Charioteers - 1st competition - American Legion National Championship prelims, Houston, TX

1971Charioteers.jpg

1972 Charioteers - formal portrait on the steps of the Alabama State Capitol

1972Charioteers.jpg

1973 Charioteers - drummers prepare for Bluegrass Nationals in Louisville, KY

1973Charioteers.jpg

1974 Charioteers - concert formation - Tiger Rag

1974Charioteers.jpg

1972 Charioteers - Jim Jones (Troopers) consults with the corps during a rehearsal at Fairfield HS in Fairfield, AL

CharioteerswithJimJones.jpg

Jim Jones shows young Charioteer soprano Mike Wilson proper elbow contact

CharioteerswithJimJones2.jpg

Patience, young Padawan.

I don't have enough hair for the braid, sadly...and I saw the pics after I posted the comment. I'd forgotton about the Nerf lightsabers...unless they put them in after the Glendora show, which was the only time I remember seeing the corps.

Someone help me out here, Maruaders ? possibly 1985 from Greeley CO

DrumCorp-3.jpg

DrumCorp001-3.jpg

As earlier stated, the top picture is the Argos. (Worst. Uniform. Ever. But they were great that year.) Bottom pic is the California Dons.

Edited by tommytimp

Patience, young Padawan.

Garry in Vegas

And Gary gets post 16,000! And a Star Wars Quote!

I never saw that year's show. Must of saved a ton on uniforms! Did it sound better than it looks?

Puppet

As earlier stated, the top picture is the Argos. (Worst. Uniform. Ever. But they were great that year.) Bottom pic is the California Dons.

Yep, that was me that said that a few pages ago.

The talent in that line was pretty decent too. Myself, Lawrence and Thom went to BD. Dane went to Freelancers and Jim Navarro went to SCV and BD. There were several other guys that also had the talent to go North but chose not to. The 70's VK program was coming to an unglamorous end that year which I believe ultimately helped them come back stronger than ever in the 80's.

Add in the prior year as well as one other guy from '79, and there's even more eventually heading north.

Gary Gardner, who played tymp #2 in '79, ended up heading to Freelancers with Dane and playing snare there for a number of years. Gary & Dane were the guys who got me back into DC (spent a year in Sac before heading to SCV) after spending a summer off playing frisbee and being a general juvi delinquent.

From '78, there was obviously Kubitz who spent some time in Rockford before heading over to BD to play in their '83 snare line (still one of the best I've seen).

Less known is Dan Squires. Dan played #4 tymp in '78 and ended up in SCV's mallet line in '82. He was the tympanist in '83.

That which doesn't kill ya...

Edited by SomeOtherJoe

Vk-Tympanis023a.jpg

It could be you but they all look too short. I didn't know that about Thom. That's the big difference between the small corps and the big boys. It's very easy to commit when there are other talented drummers just waiting to take your spot. During my entire time in BD I don't remember ever having more than one or two days when there wasn't a full line. I agree with you about Mike. It was very noble on his part to march but still a sad way to end a drum corps career. Here's a picture (that might be from you) of Mike. His body language says it all.

Mike became a judge a few years later. Saw him on the field a few times and would always talk at him a bit before stepping off. In fact, he judged '84 prelims which, for me personally, was pretty cool having him out there on the field. Told him to make sure he stuck to the snare line like glue and he complied. :worthy: He seemed to be enjoying what he was doing.

The guy to his right on tymp #2 is Gary Gardner. Gary went up north to Freelancers the following year and spent several years there playing snare.

You've got a treasure trove of pics, G!