some old corps photos

Yep, that's the mascot,, the Golden Lion, (with the silver tri-toms) is Mark Lewis,, his last year with the Lions,, the went to Flying dutchmen the next year, and then aged out with Seneca Optimists.

I agree...lots of good people in drum corps...I did a little bit of peeking at lunch...not sure if this is ok or not?...found this :)

http://et-ee.facebook.com/group.php?v=phot...4018&so=180

I'll look for Golden Lions pics in the new year. Have a wonderful holiday season!

From September to April, our colour guard spent a lot of time together rehearsing for winter guard contests. In May we’d start our summer program and it was back to the drum major role for me. We rarely traveled far however I’m truly grateful that Mr. Petschke and the executive decided we go to DCI finals in 1975 as audience members. Thanks for this scan baja.

Quick question, where was the 1973 Festival of Brass held?

Bowling Green, OH

1973 Nationals Program, Golden Lions, Simcoe Ontario

Program notes “…started in 1969, succeeding a senior corps, The Royal Blues…music includes ‘Bridge Over Troubled Waters’, ‘Traces’, ‘Aint She Sweet’, ‘Alabama Jubilee’.

73-simcoe.jpg

1973 Nationals Program, Kiwanis Kavaliers, Kitchener-Waterloo Ontario

Program Notes “…formed in November 1971…1972 National Novice Champions…1973 repertoire ‘Bill Bailey’, ‘Ode to Joy’, ‘Black Saddle’, ‘Chimes of Britain’, ‘Hang ‘em High’, ‘Shenandoah’.

73-kiwanis.jpg

Program Notes “…formed in November 1971…1972 National Novice Champions…1973 repertoire ‘Bill Bailey’, ‘Ode to Joy’, ‘Black Saddle’, ‘Chimes of Britain’, ‘Hang ‘em High’, ‘Shenandoah’.

73-kiwanis.jpg

This photo in priceless ... the true essence of "neighborhood" corps already quickly evaporating in the US in th 70's ... I had no idea of the number of corps there were in Canada when I was marching Jr. corps in the 60's ... all that I was exposed to was the Toronto Optimists and Scout House ...how great it would have been for the GNYC of Garden State or Penn-Jersey corps to be introduced to their Canadian counterparts in competition ... looks like the Upstate NY & Midwest corps were the only ones to experience what they brought to the table ...

Andy "feeling a bit cheated right now" Lisko

jr c and below drum corps were very much 'neighborhood" corps.. even larger corps,, (KW Northstar, and before them, Flying Dutchmen etc),, all home town kids,, many never played an instrument prior to joining, most taught by the 'instructors',, and volunteers,, (I volunteered many hours teaching kids to play)..

True community effort,, ton of fun...

I get that same feeling in my Alumni corps now,,, (and again,, from Simcoe LOL)...

but,, i digress,, alas...

73-kiwanis.jpg

Ha! Norm Cardwel, the judge, is the tallest one on the field.

Regards,

John

Need some help on this one. Maybe oldohiodrumcorps or others can weigh in.

This picture of the Maumee Demons was taken at Marion, OH, May 1964 at a drum corps clinic.

The drummers are L-R Roger Hoyt, Bass - Doug Kretzer, Gary Krall and Bill Krall .

Between Bill and Gary is Tim Bollinger Cymbals

1964sonsofala.jpg

"This picture of the Maumee Demons was taken at Marion, OH, May 1964 at a drum corps clinic.

The drummers are L-R Roger Hoyt, Bass - Doug Kretzer, Gary Krall and Bill Krall .

Between Bill and Gary is Tim Bollinger Cymbals"

Doug Kretzer? Is that Scott's dad? Scott came to Glassmen in 84 in the spring with no corps experience. He learned how to drum from his father, but had an old style, wide open like Cavies used to be like. His dad asked me if I thought in the remaining time until the season started if I thought he could make the snare line. I took a chance and Scott turned out to be not too bad by season's end. I recall his dad saying he had marched in Cavies, but he never mentioned being in the Glassmen.

Regards,

John