Favorite Marches

By marches do you mean like Fanfare Prelude

Nancy, there are many fanfares that are march-like in their musical style. But if the composer titles the work as a fanfare, that's what it is.

A fanfare does not follow any particular musical form. Neither does a prelude.

A march is generally a series of related strains - each a complete melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic entity. In military marches these strains are often repeated, to get more mileage out of a dinky page crammed full of little black dots.

Grand marches, such as Crown Imperial, are played at stately tempos.

Circus marches often are played at blazing speed. Because there really are no marching acts in a circus.

Since we usually have two feet, most marches are written in two or four beats to the measure. The exception is if you are writing for a procession of nobles.

Edited by HornsUp

Looked up Kenneth J. Alford to see if he wrote anything else of interest.

Just whistle a descending minor 3rd, and see what ensues.

Edited by HornsUp

A march is generally a series of related strains - each a complete melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic entity. In military marches these strains are often repeated,

Since we usually have two feet, most marches are written in two or four beats to the measure. The exception is if you are writing for a procession of nobles.

Yes, for example, Wagner's famous " Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral " is what most men refer to as a " death march ". slow.... and steady.

Edited by BRASSO

Nancy, there are many fanfares that are march-like in their musical style. But if the composer titles the work as a fanfare, that's what it is.

A fanfare does not follow any particular musical form. Neither does a prelude.

A march is generally a series of related strains - each a complete melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic entity. In military marches these strains are often repeated, to get more mileage out of a dinky page crammed full of little black dots.

Grand marches, such as Crown Imperial, are played at stately tempos.

Circus marches often are played at blazing speed. Because there really are no marching acts in a circus.

Thank you!

1960: Majestic Knights of Charlestown - "Washington Post March"

1965: Geneva Apple Knockers - "Invercargill March"

1965: Lt Norman Prince "Princemen" - "Allies On The March"

1966: St Kevin's Emerald Knights - "Billboard March" (Slightly better than the version played in 1969 by St Rita's Brassmen)

1968: 27th Lancers - "March of the Grenadiers"

1977: Racine Kilties -"McDuffy's March"

1994: 27th Lancers Alumni - "Crown Imperial"

I wll do this as soon as my instantly tunable snare drum and whistling sticks arive. I am a patient person. or maybe by then I will be a patient.

And learn to spell arrive. Too few strokes, too little time.

And learn to spell arrive. Too few strokes, too little time.

No worries. Didn't notice except when you wrote tunable, I read turntable haha. I bought one 2 years ago to listen to my old record album collection :smile:

Yesterday I dusted off my Legacy Collection (my treat to me a few years ago with bonus $’s), picked 1977 and listened to Kilties play McDuffy’s March and ended up watching the entire video on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I’m assuming if the piece has the word march, it’s a march. Freelancers played Wedding Procession March and Crossmen played Marche Slav in 1977. Seneca Princemen played Marche Slav 1974 and 1975. I remember turning around and being part of the drill for a few bars of music. Don’t need no DM during a March; the March conducts itself! ... um ... imo ;)