Who got 1st place robbed from them

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!...sorry for dragging you back into this Rocketman (as he kicks and screams) but I was so amazed with 78 that the prelim show could have won nationals as well (IMO)...I'm not trying to brown nose here, but believe it or not I am starting to have second thoughts about 1977 as well....darn!!!

Felix:

Don't go down that road. Our drumline couldn't hold the Devs jock that year and was the noticeable difference.

Rocketman - Peace Keeper

ampssuck

There is no question PR had the "fan-favorite" show, but in all actuality, it was us (Blue Devils) that out-executed everyone all year.

As I stated, percussion was our downfall. We were down by .25 in brass, up by .30 in marching, but those could not compensate for a minus 1.1 in percussion.

Rocketman - Dang Drummers!

ampssuck

As a side note, Pep Manning IS one cool dude. He and I worked together on Arcadia HS's staff for a bit. I see him all the time at shows...

legend:

In a bit of irony, after the failure of my SECOND corps, I had narrowed my choices for 1976 to Regiment and Blue Devils. I sent a letter to Regiment first and figured if the didn't get back to me or didn't have any spots, then I'd contact Blue Devils. Just think, my signature could read as follows:

1973 - Pittsburgh Rockets - Defunct

1974-75 Sharpsburg Cadets - Ditto

1976-79 Blue Devils - Three Time DCI Champion

Best of all, I could have marched with a Legend!

After all, look at that Avatar, I was already into the Blue, White, and Black!

Rocketman - Almost a Blue Devil

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

legend:

In a bit of irony, after the failure of my SECOND corps, I had narrowed my choices for 1976 to Regiment and Blue Devils. I sent a letter to Regiment first and figured if the didn't get back to me or didn't have any spots, then I'd contact Blue Devils. Just think, my signature could read as follows:

1973 - Pittsburgh Rockets - Defunct

1974-75 Sharpsburg Cadets - Ditto

1976-79 Blue Devils - Three Time DCI Champion

Best of all, I could have marched with a Legend!

After all, look at that Avatar, I was already into the Blue, White, and Black!

Rocketman - Almost a Blue Devil

ampssuck

heh, ya never know, you might have come to the Devs, and changed the course of history............ :P

I believe the best corps on that field on that night in Birmingham 1980 was the Blue Devils.....the judges did get it right!

I had a very emotional show, but we were so very tired, too many run throughs, we left it on the practice field. The staff was very young, and learned very quickly sans Gah-field 82, 83, 84, 85 and so on!

And Blue Devil Legend, I want to thank you (and I know you were just trying to be very nice) for the thread you started where you said you thought we should have won after watching the video.

It was very generous of you to say it, but I believe deep down, it could not be!