DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

The sound and audience in Fairfax, VA were great. My 9 year old was most impressed with VK. With us constantly trying to recruit for Shenandoah Sound we sometimes wonder if anyone in the No. Virginia/DC area has any experience with drum corps, but there were lots of folks there that sounded like they have marched jr. corps.  We were slightly disappointed when they showed the map of corps and not all DCA groups (including us) were listed. But at least DCA was mentioned.

Enjoyed it and will go again.

I mentioned this in another thread. The DCA corps that were listed are corps that are participating in exhibition at various DCI shows during the summer...not to be confused with the contest the day after DCI World finals.

Mike

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Lincolnshire showing. Playing in two auditoria, mine looked to be about 80% full. Sound and video were both fine (loud enough, but not earsplittingly so) Course, we had Dan Acheson, Tom Blair, and Jeff Fiedler in Lincolnshire too, so there was a certain guarantee that things wouldn't suck.... :P

Uh, I was there, too.

Mike

I enjoyed the show but I am annoyed at the production people that left Music City legend off the "senior corps" schedule.No mention of us at all.

See my reply to the same question above.

Mike

As everyone knows, it's impossible to please everyone all the time. We see that in some saying a certain corps show was boring and someone else saying that same show was the most exciting thing they'd ever seen.

Personally, I wished the sound in Lincolnshire, Illinois was louder...MUCH louder. I heard others state that as well. Anyhow, I inquired about that and was informed that two people complained because the sound was TOO loud. So, go figure.

Mike

I mentioned this in another thread. The DCA corps that were listed are corps that are participating in exhibition at various DCI shows during the summer...not to be confused with the contest the day after DCI World finals.

Mike

The only problem with that is that that little tidbit wasn't made known....thus, it looked like the only Sr corps east of the Mississippi was CorpsVets...

If you're going to list them at all....LIST them all!!

Edited by 84BDsop

try taking some initiative next time instead of blaming DCI for a broadcast they didn't owe you in the first place.

This quote would make perfect sense if the show was free. But we paid our hard earned money, and therefore they DID owe it to us. I'm pretty mad at the theater because it seemed like they threw this all together in five minutes and didn't even bother to do a sound check.

Ok, so that was the theater's fault, but I'm sure there is something DCI could do as well. I'm not a technical genious, but maybe it's impossible to get really high quality sound from a satellite broadcast. If they do this again next year maybe they should actually send a DVD to every theater. Seems to me that would really improve sound.

As far as the picture, I would never complain about that. If there is video from 30 years ago, that is the best that technology had to offer. And if you think the picture quality was bad even for the new shows, keep in mind that this is not film. It's video that was intended for a small television screen. When you use a video projecter for a huge movie screen, that is simply what it looks like.

Overheard at the Galaxy in San Francisco, during Steve Beard's wailing bari solo in Anaheim's "Artistry in Rhythm" -

Current marching member of local corps: "Wow! I didn't know you could play that on a horn with only one valve."

Reply from the back of the house: "You're right. YOU can't!"

It was all in good fun and a great cross-generational corps experience for all in attendance. There were folks in the theatre who either performed in, taught or wrote for almost every corps on the bill.

It was a grand night.

The only problem with that is that that little tidbit wasn't made known....thus, it looked like the only Sr corps east of the Mississippi was CorpsVets...

If you're going to list them at all....LIST them all!!

I'd have to see it again to state this with 100% authority, but I believe the dialogue was that these are the corps you would be seeing at DCI shows this summer.

Mike

I'd have to see it again to state this with 100% authority, but I believe the dialogue was that these are the corps you would be seeing at DCI shows this summer.

Mike

I believe Heatwave of Orlando is in exhibition at DCI Orlando yet not on the bill. Hmmm...

I believe Heatwave of Orlando is in exhibition at DCI Orlando yet not on the bill. Hmmm...

Errors and ommissions are possible. I don't know the real status on that.

Mike