Biggest messups in DCI history?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was told this - but was too young to be there. 1969 Kilties drum major - after concert - forgets to give the command "Horns up" - and proceeds to give a "Mark time march" command. The hornline freaked - some raise their horns to play - others didn't. Need some dinosaur to confirm this.

(Pre-DCI I know, but a huge contributor to DCI when it was formed.)

(sigh........) I'll be the confirming dinosaur.

This actually happened in 1972 at DCI finals, coming out of concert. The train wreck was compounded by the fact that the music was supposed to start on count "1"--no 4-for-nothing. We were able to recover after about 8 counts (no freaking out, just p***ed at the DM), but our performance really went into the tank. I think we dropped from 6th in prelims to 9th in finals or thereabouts.

The poor DM (his first year, following Scotty Poulsen), who had done a creditable job until then, made it through the rest of the season and was never seen again.

They judge was primarily a WGI judge...the numbers were past numbers, not numbers for that night's show.

The technique in WGI is called something like "knowing the neighborhood"; I guess in some of the huge WGI shows it might be OK (though I think it pretty lame).

In a corps show, however, IMO while not the dasterdly thing you mentioned, it's still a totally inappropriate thing to do.

From what I read, the guy didn't know it was something to be avoided, as it was common practice elsewhere.

Mike

I wouldn't blame WGI, their training program and judge education program is one of the best. Why is knowing and understanding neighborhoods "lame"?? What was inappropriate? Having a recap? IMO, WGI judges know "what's up" WAY more then most, and are used a lot in DCI, BOA, etc. for a good reason. Sounds to me like the judge simply dropped a recap.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I was sitting here watching videos, and remmembered one that hasn't been mentioned

Cadets 2001 - during the ballad (vido cor meum) the sop soloist has trouble - I remmember this, because I was there, but its not on my recording.

The only reason it was horrible was because that person nailed it every other time I saw them that summer.

They judge was primarily a WGI judge...the numbers were past numbers, not numbers for that night's show.

The technique in WGI is called something like "knowing the neighborhood"; I guess in some of the huge WGI shows it might be OK (though I think it pretty lame).

In a corps show, however, IMO while not the dasterdly thing you mentioned, it's still a totally inappropriate thing to do.

From what I read, the guy didn't know it was something to be avoided, as it was common practice elsewhere.

Mike

It kind of goes against the supposed "any corps can win any show on any night" philosophy. <**>

cadets 02 kind of reminded me of cadets 96 where they had the line of rifles doing something simlar...and i might be mistaking but was there a guy in the rifle line that dropped also. Kinda ironic...