Biggest messups in DCI history?

Actually, I thought the 90 unis were worse...TERRIBLY unforgiving of body flaws...

There were body flaws on that guard? ####, could've fooled me!!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several years ago when the sprinkler system activated on the entire field during the glassman's show.  I believe it was in Kansas..

Unless we are talking about two different shows, I beleive it was Kansas. The one I remember was 1993 during an exhibition for a high school done by G'men, Colts, and Black Gold. G'men went on last and right in the middle of the show the field sprinklers came on. If I remember correctly, they finished the show and they turned off right as they started to come off of the field.

Yes my brother I know what you mean and I agree! :blink:  :music:

AMEN!!!

Unless we are talking about two different shows, I beleive it was Kansas.  The one I remember was 1993 during an exhibition for a high school done by G'men, Colts, and Black Gold.  G'men went on last and right in the middle of the show the field sprinklers came on.  If I remember correctly, they finished the show and they turned off right as they started to come off of the field.

They dont have the best luck with showers during their performances, do they?

In '98 Colts, you mean the person who fell during the block rotation, right? Am I thinking of the right show?

So now that its clarified that '90 BD was intentional.....what about '88 Phantom?

I always shudder when I listen to the opening statement for the 1984 Freelancers coming off the line with a soprano solo that didn't quite deliver.

"LIVE, FROM SACRAMENTO, THE FREELANCERS!" It goes down hill from there, capping off with a totally exposed tag ending for the intro, where there's a major Craaaaack! from the soloist, setting up the power chords for the big brass hit before the tempo change for "What is Hip?!".

The show ends with a really weird chord resolution that left the crowd not knowing what to do.

What a unique drum corps. Their shows always sounded like background music for hot solos, but there were few solos offered. It's funny how that 1984 show (as well as other Freelancer offerings) has really grown on me over the years. There's just something special about it (them), and it wouldn't be the same without all the imperfections that came out the night of the 1984 finals. I really miss the Freelancers. :(

It's funny how that 1984 show (as well as other Freelancer offerings) has really grown on me over the years.  There's just something special about it (them), and it wouldn't be the same without all the imperfections that came out the night of the 1984 finals.  I really miss the Freelancers. :(

They were very unique...I miss them too.

YEAH, definitely. Forgot about that one.

Really interesting story about Cavies '87, thanks for explaining it.

Yea it was kinda scary turning to my right and seeing her laying on the ground scrambling for her rifle. Scariest moment all season. I thought for second I was gonna trip over her and cause a trainwreck for the rest of the trumpet section. I avoided it somehow... so did everyone else. looks like we trampled her on the DVD :wub::wub: :sshh:

This show was (I'm pretty sure in Kansas) Roman Blenski was helping to defleck some of the water jets, while being soaked himself. He did a great job....

Did his hat get wet?

Ah, here's one nobody's mentioned...

The judge who dropped the scores for that night's competition (Dekalb 3-4 years ago) while the corps were competing.  I forgot what corps the marching member was from who picked it up was.  They tried to dismiss it as the judge just wanted to make sure the scores were higher than the night before, and even if that is true...it's a big mess up.

They judge was primarily a WGI judge...the numbers were past numbers, not numbers for that night's show.

The technique in WGI is called something like "knowing the neighborhood"; I guess in some of the huge WGI shows it might be OK (though I think it pretty lame).

In a corps show, however, IMO while not the dasterdly thing you mentioned, it's still a totally inappropriate thing to do.

From what I read, the guy didn't know it was something to be avoided, as it was common practice elsewhere.

Mike