Biggest messups in DCI history?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, through analyzing a bunch of drum corps stuff, but not as much as many people this is what i have......

1999 Crossmen, somebody was out of step for basically the last 30 seconds of the show, that just hit my eyes one day.

2001 Cavaliers, during the percussion break in the middle of the third movement when the brass was doing the swirling drill thing, one horn player TOTALLY took a huge roll to the ground and you can hear marie czapinksi on her tape go, OH MY DEAR, is he alright, ALright he is back up.

2001 Bluecoats in San Antonio, THE BIG HUGE CONTRA PILE UP IN PRELIMS. I have just heard stories about helmets, plooms, and parts to contras ALL OVER THE GROUND.

2004 Crossmen rifle girl that sat in the middle of a moving block formation and knocked a couple of people out of the form.

2002 Cavies, Encore show at finals, a corps member lost their shoe during the encore run through, and guard guy was dancing with it, it was quite entertaining.

I know its been said before, but I felt so bad for that contra player in the Cadets 02 show.

And, I don't know if this one has been said or not:

99 SCV - at the very end of the show, the guard is rippling a spin to sit type tihng. You get to the last 4 or so people and one girl does not do it. The one next to her moves her arms like she is going to do the move with everyone else and doesn't complete it. So, the last thing I see is the entire guard minus the 4 or so in front on the ground.

2001 Bluecoats in San Antonio, THE BIG HUGE CONTRA PILE UP IN PRELIMS.  I have just heard stories about helmets, plooms, and parts to contras ALL OVER THE GROUND.

The contra pileup was at the afternoon show in Indy. When we watched the video of it later, it didn't look as bad as it was because the contras fell right on the Indianapolis Colts logo on the 50. With our uniforms being the same colour, they just blended right in.

89 SCV-- Finals. Watch the far-end snare at the end of the opener. Everyone else halts, he takes two more steps to fix his alignment.

I've watched the video of that show like a hundred times and have never noticed that little flub. I'd hardly call it one of the biggest mess-ups in DCI history... he times it right with the stick visual and the "drumline head bobbing" thing that I didn't even realize he took a step (well, 2).

The contra pileup was at the afternoon show in Indy. When we watched the video of it later, it didn't look as bad as it was because the contras fell right on the Indianapolis Colts logo on the 50. With our uniforms being the same colour, they just blended right in.

He speaks truth. My seat was on the 50, lower level about 20 rows up. I missed it.

I've watched the video of that show like a hundred times and have never noticed that little flub. I'd hardly call it one of the biggest mess-ups in DCI history... he times it right with the stick visual and the "drumline head bobbing" thing that I didn't even realize he took a step (well, 2).

Y'know....same here! I'd never seen it!

Make it '89 then. I was thinking of the "Interstellar Suite" show that they did and couldn't recall the year.

I had always thought Interstellar Suite was a bad show, until I acquired a recording. Musically speaking it was actually a decent show.

This made me laugh!

This happened to the 81 Blue Devils.....but with different results.

The 81 show started off with the horn line powering punching the first note directly into the stands while standing on the front sideline.  POW!  We had 8 counts of a cymbal ride before the power punch.  4 counts before the POW, a euphonium player would say "Good luck" to the contra next to him and then POW!

Well....at Louisville, the "Good luck" came a couple beats early, followed by a very loud contra doing the power punch POW! 

All by himself.

The effect of this was quite different from the Cavies response you portrayed.  Granted, we may have had a different mindset since we really did not have any competition at that show.  It didn't effect our performance or mindset.  The contra player certainly caught a lot of crap from the hornline on the bus ride that night. 

After that....we forgot about it. 

We knew it was a freak occurance....

The 82 season, at the same show, I have video of the Blue Devils starting the opener......followed by the announcer "Is the corps ready"....right in the middle of TO.  I can vividly recall that moment thinking "CRAP!"  We continued on, hyping on the DM's mistake and belted out a homerun of a performance.  We got a perfect score in GE brass that night.  Two weeks before DCI.....

Doesn't that tend to be a mindset of BD? When ever something strange out of place etc happens it tends to energize the corps.

I remember the Canadian show when it started raining in the middle of the show there was this inexplicable energy that seemed to come out during the last part of the show.

Or, after the fire and the Rosemont show (when the drummers used VK's drums -- turquoise with fluorescent orange).