SHOCKWAVE

We saw Shockwave last Sat.night at the State Theatre in New Brunswick NJ. The show was simply thrilling; a wonderful way to top off a great year for Drum Corps.

Blast II is definitely not Drum Corps but its roots are obvious.Much of the music will be recognized by veteran fans as DC classics but this Star edition does not have rifles,sabers or flags and includes saxophones, clarinets and flutes and electronic keyboards

We brought a theatre going couple with us and they thought it was one of the most exciting,innovative and creative entertainment experiences they have had.I believe this show will get better reviews,win more awards and have a longer run on Broadway than the original Blast.

The cast is a little smaller(41) but the talent is overwhelming.The quality and sophistication exceeded my optimistic expectations.The arrangements are fabulous(typical Downey and Prime work) and the choreography is truly outstanding.My favorite numbers were Channel One (even better than the Concord Crew could do),God Bless the Child(I got sweaty eyeballs),First Circle (one of my all time favortes as the Metheny group would have performed it);a very impressively creative dance and spinning number, Carmina Burana and Bohemian Rhapsody.There are 17 numbers in all and there wasn't anything I did not like.It is a genuine triumph for Bill Cook and Jim Mason.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I absolutly loved the show ( In many ways more than the first....I'm a sucker for big band and this hit the spot in a major way) There were alot of tuning issues that I hope were just flukes for that night. ESPECIALLY in adagio. Other than that I thought it was an amazing show and an amazing birthday present from my friends....Thursdays the big day the big 21...

I'm seeing the show on October 19th, at IU-Bloomington. I may end up writing my own review, but I'd like to ask those who have seen the show, what was the playlist for the show? Blast seemed to be 'Drum Corp's Greatest Hits', but it already sounds like there is a much broader focus this time around.

...what was the playlist for the show? Blast seemed to be 'Drum Corp's Greatest Hits...

Well, expect some more drum corps hits...

Act I

Starburst

Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs

First Circle

Guaguanco

God Bless the Child

Blue Rondo A La Turk

Adaigo for Strings

Channel One Suite

Act II

Carmina Burana

Good Vibrations

Drum, Drum, Drum

Star Children

Uninvited

Bohemian Rhapsody

Lullaby for Nancy Carol

Swing, Swing, Swing

BLAST!

but this Star edition does not have rifles,sabers or flags

So what sort of equipment do they use?

They used several different custom made implements that could be handled like rifles.We are starting to see some of this sort of thing in Div I: lightning bolts,ovrtsize tools and a few difficult to describe items.As the para military nature of DC disappears altogether, I expect rifles and sabers to be replaced by this type of thing .

Frank

Uninvited

hmmm, wonder *whose* univited song this is

research time (unless anyone knows?)

"Uninvited" is by Alannis Morrisette (sp?)

• 1 month later...