HOLY ####ING ####!

OK - have just listened to the APD. Not seen the show live yet. But after listening to this, my only reaction is that SOMETHING is simply not right here . . .

I have to ask - are they tripping over themselves, marching up and down in straight lines, standing still, - WHAT?!?! Because I just CANNOT see a corps that's performing THIS WELL MUSICALLY being in 9TH PLACE! I mean, is their visual program THAT BAD?!?! If so, I think the SCV powers that be need to fire the visual staff or something, because these kids should be WINNING otherwise.

Or are they just performing the visual show that poorly?!?! If this is the case, then they need to just STOP CHANGING STUFF and CLEAN the #### thing!

I'd have to say the same about last year's show - on a musical level, simply NO ONE had a show that was as both technically complex AND as well performed. I mean, seriously, I dare you to find a SYMPHONY recording of Scheherazade that is this well done.

This is truly sad . . .

I think EVERYONE who feels the same way should head to SCV's site and pitch in 10 bucks to ensure that NEXT YEAR they kick everyone's A##.

Edited by hurdra

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to ask - are they tripping over themselves, marching up and down in straight lines, standing still, - WHAT?!?!  Because I just CANNOT see a corps that's performing THIS WELL MUSICALLY being in 9TH PLACE!  I mean, is their visual program THAT BAD?!?!  If so, I think the SCV powers that be need to fire the visual staff or something, because these kids should be WINNING otherwise.

But it's interesting to look at their subcaption placements:

10th GE Vis

8th GE Mus

11th Vis Perf

11th Vis Ens

10th Vis Guard

10th Mus Brass

8th Mus Ens

8th Mus Perc

They aren't getting any love in the music subcaptions either.

I think they sound great, but one of a couple things is happening:

1. We aren't hearing the musical dirt that the judges are

2. The judges are penalizing them in other captions for a bad show design (not that I'm a conspiracy theorist)

But I agree with the Legend - if they end up in 9th in Boston, this will be the best and most enjoyable 9th place corps in history. We better redo the poll from earlier this summer! :)

I'd have to say the same about last year's show - on a musical level, simply NO ONE had a show that was as both technically complex AND as well performed.  I mean, seriously, I dare you to find a SYMPHONY recording of Scheherazade that is this well done.

You know SCV finished third last year in just about every caption, right? This leads me to believe that there were at least 2 corps that were both technically more complex AND better performed.

I think you've gone beyond resonable admiration of a show. There are plenty of recordings of the original work that are way better than what SCV did last year. I dare you to find one who isn't as good!!

Obviously, SCV has problems this year. I truely hope they fix them. Drum Corps is always better when SCV was good.

Without a doubt this is my favorite drum corps show of all time. Such raw power and emotion. I just got back to a computer with internet access (i'm on vacation), and listening to this APD was a really nice treat, because #### those kids are performing the #### out of this show.

I know we can't hear the dirt from the other corps, but i think this is simply credit to the other corps being THAT good! I do have to admit that this is the best top 10 i've liked...ever. Every single show is incredible and such good writing.

Back to SCV - I'm pissing my pants over their mello line. What incredible writing. I've been listening to the Pleasant Hill APD since it came out, and I know this show like the back of my hand already, and to get to hear all the changes they've put in is quite a treat. The trumpets have really cleaned up, because they were having some serious issues back then. Everything is blending together so well.

If SCV can manage to step it, they still have a chance at higher than 9th, so GO SCV!!!!!

I'll be ordering the movie poster the day I get home :D

Well, I'm admittedly biased, but I'm pretty much in agreement with all I've read here...

As far as the drumline goes, I'm not sure what line the judges are listening to...with the exception of a couple of releases, the drumline is kicking the crap out of their score, and it was written by Murray...now that's saying something. BUT, I've haven't seen them live yet so I can't say the judges have messed up...I'm just wondering how bad thier visual program must be.

One thing that is kinda wierd in the field percussion is that you can tell a definite difference in Murray's writing and the old school Hardimon stuff. The drumline seems to change its identity during Russian Christmas...otherwise, I was freaking blown away! b**bs

Hmm...this is making me ponder. Is GE too important of a thing and musicality isn't REALLY a part of GE anymore? Hmm...because I thought the same thing when I heard the horn line in April and wondered WT...was going on with their drill that could be holding them back?

Hmm...what is REALLY going on? :worthy:

I mean... musically...oh...it's useless, everyone will call me a "conspiracy theorist"...and I'm tired of the labels! b**bs :P

Bit off topic, but did anyone notice the "marching soldiers" sound at the beginning of the third movement (4:45-4:50)? I don't know if that's what it's MEANT to be, but it's what I thought of. Kinda cool if that's what it's meant to be. If not, then it's still cool anyway!

I usually don't get this emotional when I post here, but..................

#### the scores, #### the placement, and #### the visual portion of the show.

SCV was on ####### fire tonight!

Preach, brother!

Keep going, SCV!! b**bs