Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

I do believe late 1800s so the school is definitely a "century school", if you will.

I like how everywhere you go now in that building, there's all sorts of Glassmen history tucked away in every corner...the stuff on AND off the field. Which brings me to this next story...

Back in the day, Glassmen used to run a haunted school fundraiser around Halloween by decorating G-West (which is terrifying to begin with :)). This is interesting enough, but what's great is that even though that hasn't been done in years, there are still things left over. For example, if you go up the creepy stairway that's not really used much and turn on the lights (good luck finding the switch and working bulbs, though) you'll see that some of the light bulbs and walls are splattered with fake blood. Go down a flight and look up in the dark-- above is a GIANT axe hanging from the ceiling, and some wire fence holding mannequin body parts and hair and blood. Completely unexpected, especially if you don't know why it's there, and really, really creepy.

I don't have any good stories about G-East, since nowadays it's just used for our weekly bingo and twice-yearly poker fundraisers.

I like how everywhere you go now in that building, there's all sorts of Glassmen history tucked away in every corner...the stuff on AND off the field.  Which brings me to this next story...

Back in the day, Glassmen used to run a haunted school fundraiser around Halloween by decorating G-West (which is terrifying to begin with :)).  This is interesting enough, but what's great is that even though that hasn't been done in years, there are still things left over.  For example, if you go up the creepy stairway that's not really used much and turn on the lights (good luck finding the switch and working bulbs, though) you'll see that some of the light bulbs and walls are splattered with fake blood.  Go down a flight and look up in the dark-- above is a GIANT axe hanging from the ceiling, and some wire fence holding mannequin body parts and hair and blood.  Completely unexpected, especially if you don't know why it's there, and really, really creepy.

I don't have any good stories about G-East, since nowadays it's just used for our weekly bingo and twice-yearly poker fundraisers.

I was around when they bought G-East until I aged out.

I don't have any good stories about it either!! :blink:

Except trying to hold brass and percussion sectionals in the same room was always interesting!!

Edited by Bob Brady

I am almost positive that G-West was built somewhere between 1900 and 1920. I also know that sertain parts of the school (now the brass, pit and battery rooms) were added on arround 1930.

Another story about Sarah the friendly ghost....I think it was 2001, I think this story came from out DM Chris, he said that one evening (before or after a camp i dont know) he had to stop off at G-west to pick some things up. Of course being the only person there, he probably didnt want to be there any longer than he had to. Well while he was there, he heard the sound of a bouncing basket ball comming from the gym. He ran to the gym to find nobody there, but did see a basketball laying perfectly still in the corner. Nothing like a good winter camp bedtime story!

I have seen the Axe from the old haunted house days, its HUGE! totaly freaked me out the first time i saw it.

Wow, not too many recent stories (99 to present) about the scouts.... ^0^

I watched a set of Pioneer's tympani go rolling down a big hill and crash in a parking lot in 99. Apparently they used hand carts back then and the tymp cart got away from the tympanist. I never knew a 32" tympani could bounce so far.

-Dave

Wow, not too many recent stories (99 to present) about the scouts.... ^0^

I watched a set of Pioneer's tympani go rolling down a big hill and crash in a parking lot in 99. Apparently they used hand carts back then and the tymp cart got away from the tympanist.  I never knew a 32" tympani could bounce so far.

-Dave

I never saw any drum go down a hill like that back in the 70's, there was always someone attached to it back then !!! B) B) :sshh: :worthy::blink:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the old rumor from the early 80's about the BD snare line all doing lines of coke off their drumheads before going into the stadium to perform.

Also 1983 Geneseo Knights who wouldn't let a judge break ranks or something like that somewhere around midseason.  only to have their scores level off and corps that they had been beating started passing them and they missed finals that year after sitting in about 9th or 10th place mid season.

I marched Knights in 1983 and this is the story as told to me by a very reliable source. One of the staff members showed up to critique drunk and knocked a DCI judge over a table. Whether it was accidental or not, nobody knows. Shortly after the incedent our scores just kind of statgnated and everyone we had been beating passed us up. Rumor was that DCI decided that if that kind of behaviour was going on, the organization did not belong as a finalist corps.

The sopranos had a slide on it such that any note could be tuned.  There was a stop on the horns so "illegal" notes could not be played (and they weren't). 

Our sopranos were constantly inspected by judges prior to shows, as a result of other corps requests for the inspections ([ cough]...Rockford...[ cough])

That would be funny, except that some folks in Rockford actually believed this rumor. It was still talked about as if factual when I marched (in '86). Of course, we had a lot of rookies that year....

regardless of what it says, madonna DID NOT march bridgemen.  i have a friend (very good friend, former supervisor, our daughters are growing up together, her parents are corps folks, blah blah blah) who was in bayonne's guard at the time madonna was alledgedly marching.

But there was a corps in Port Huron, Michigan, named the Bluewater Bridgemen. Where in Michigan did Madonna live?