Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

I marched Knights in 1983 and this is the story as told to me by a very reliable source. One of the staff members showed up to critique drunk and knocked a DCI judge over a table. Whether it was accidental or not, nobody knows. Shortly after the incedent our scores just kind of statgnated and everyone we had been beating passed us up. Rumor was that DCI decided that if that kind of behaviour was going on, the organization did not belong as a finalist corps.

walt? is that you?

Ü

jan (huffman)

Doug Thrower from the Bluecoats used to tell this great joke:

What does sex in a canoe and American beer have in common?

They're both F###ing close to water.

Most service industry people know this one:

What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian?

Canoes tip.

Garry

Another rumor....Blue Devil Drum Majors present Velvet Knights Drum Majors with a pineapple and palm tree at retreat....as the VK drum majors were reading a newspaper.

Not a rumor. True story. BD DM's bring over a potted palm. VK DM's offer libations from the cooler. All enjoy a nice cold Pepsi while the other drum majors struggle with the sticks in their...well, you know the rest!

I thought it was kind of cool that BD was the first corps to buy into the VK shtick, and why other corps' DM's became targets for the VK DM's.

Garry

But there was a corps in Port Huron, Michigan, named the Bluewater Bridgemen.  Where in Michigan did Madonna live?

It was the Bluewater Buccaneers,from Sarnia Ontario.(Right across the bridge from Port Huron)

Several of our resident DCPers marched with them,and during my marching days,we saw them almost every show.

Gmen and Bucs were pretty tight with each other. And sorry to say-No Madonna.

Edited by Bob Brady
  • Like 1

I never saw any drum go down a hill like that back in the 70's, there was always someone attached to it back then !!!  B)  B)  :sshh: :worthy:  :blink:

Yeah, they didn't roll too good with someone attached. (roll, thud, roll, thud....) :P

s/ Horn guy who rode (and helped load) the Drum truck to practice

It was the Bluewater Buccaneers,from Sarnia Ontario.(Right across the bridge from Port Huron)

Several of our resident DCPers marched with them,and during my marching days,we saw them almost every show.

Saying Madonna marched drum corps, is like saying she wanted to be a nun !! :sshh: j/k :P

Edited by ODBC

The sopranos had a slide on it such that any note could be tuned.  There was a stop on the horns so "illegal" notes could not be played (and they weren't). 

Our sopranos were constantly inspected by judges prior to shows, as a result of other corps requests for the inspections ([ cough]...Rockford...[ cough])

Robert, thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad you didn't think we had you checked!

There was a corps called the Bridgemen. They were from Sarnia, not Port Huron. Madonna was already on MTV when that corps had it's short life.

Regards,

John Swartz