Murfreesboro

Good job Scouts drumline!  Don't understand the brass score.

7 tenths drop from San Antonio?

yah, saw that too :worthy:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this spectator's point of view. May I add it was right behind the judges. I would of have had Cadets up in all music caption (ensemble/ge) and Cavies with Visual. To me it was that close, I had Cadets on top.

I'll do a review tomorrow.

I hope you are kidding

Jeff is absolutely one of the best in the business. At a major like this numbers management becomes very difficult cause all the corps are so good. In the performance captions you get into a touchy situation in that each tenth is really worth 1/3 the value of a GE tenth. So, to really separate corps, a slightly better performance warrants a .3 spread. Although this creates corps sometimes falling out of specific boxes (ie Upper Box 4 vs. Lower Box 5), I think it has to be done to really separate those corps with a specialty in one caption.

Why do we need scores to be down to the hundredths of a point?  Oh, that's right, we can't have a tie in DCI.  Come finals night how will the activity feel if a corps wins by .005 or .01?  Perhaps it came down to the  math tonight, but how and where can anyone explain the Cavies were 75 hundredths of a point (!) better than Cadets?  If two corps are fit to be tied, then so be it already!  Or do I need some edu-ma-catin'?

Tim

It's nothing to do with ties. At big shows, there are two percussion judges where the resulting formulae can score a corps ._25 or ._75. Cavies/Cadets could have tied last night; to break it, the tabulator would rank both corps numbers as ordinals. If still tied, the tab. adds each winning caption; if still tied, kiss yer sister! :worthy:

Well in 2003 Indianapolis is where the big shake up happened.  Two weeks before finals the undefeated Cavaliers fell to Blue Devils and it stayed that way until finals.  Do you all think that will happen again this year with Cadets-Cavies switch-a-roo?

Interesting concept, considering you could slide only a credit card between the 2 corps from last night.

Your theory is plausable tho. I can see the consparacy theories if it does happen! :P

I was supposed to be in Murfreesboro last night, but.... :(

I'm so happy to see the Cadets so close to the top spot. I wish them well tonight, kick butt. And, WOOT to the guard! :worthy:

Well in 2003 Indianapolis is where the big shake up happened.  Two weeks before finals the undefeated Cavaliers fell to Blue Devils and it stayed that way until finals.  Do you all think that will happen again this year with Cadets-Cavies switch-a-roo?

That show was the last drum corps show I attended (and my first Indy experience), so I really remember that and the reaction well. I talked to my friend in The Cadets last night before I went to bed to fill her in on my grandpa, and she was telling me that they are only tenths behind in marching and music, and the kids feel that the can win it today. I'm leaving for the show in a couple of hours (after a Target run for Gatorade for her and her seat partner after the show)...I'm very excited about today, and during scores tonight, I'll be one very nervous SAI!

Go get 'em Selena!!!! (and Mr. Bocook!) B)

I hope you are kidding

This doesn't happen very often but I happen to agree with G. Jeff Mitchell is one of the best in the business. He's one of the ones who isn't afraid to call it like he sees it... despite what the armchair referees like us might think or like to see...

Stef

This doesn't happen very often but I happen to agree with G.  Jeff Mitchell is one of the best in the business.  He's one of the ones who isn't afraid to call it like he sees it... despite what the armchair referees like us might think or like to see...

Stef

I agree totally. In this era, when brass judges seem to be relegated to the field, leaving percussionists too much in control of music numbers, Jeff has always been a true professional.

When many judges seem to take the easy way out, lining corps up in neat little "two tenths spreads", Jeff will ALWAYS call it like he sees it.

Many people on this board complain that judges don't judge each performance as a separate entity....Jeff does. And now, when perhaps he thought BD just wasn't good enough, y'all complain that the judge doesn't know what he is doing.

Well..I have news for you folks....its a sad sight to see what was once a huge pool of brass judges dwindling down to a scant few. One can only hope there are more Jeff Mitchells out there to help us "Brass Guys" get some more weight on our panels.

For another topic:

We have 2 percussion judges, and often percussionists are on GE Music and Ens music, and there isn't enough balance of commentary and evaluation of the brass lines within the upstairs captions.

As always...my 2 cents.

Peace!

That show was the last drum corps show I attended (and my first Indy experience), so I really remember that and the reaction well.

Heh, I was there too, and I remember being shocked that the two-year undefeated run had come to an end. Especially since the scores the night before didn't really seem to indicate a switch was coming. Then last year, Indy again played a critical role in the standings. Blue Devils won (by only a tenth I believe), and with the way the season had been going you absolutely knew that Cavaliers were going to catch them in Denver. The writing was on the wall. This year, you have to think Murfreesboro is sending the same kind of message, that Cadets will catch Cavaliers.