• 2. Cadets
    • 3. Cascades
    • 4. Blue Devils

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one corps using narration has improved their position from last year.

One corps has (will) stayed the same.

Two dropped their positions from last year.

BD is the most annoying for all the reasons previously stated by others.

One thing that bothers me is the amps themselves. When there is acoustic chanting/singing by a corps, it is not out of character with the acoustic brass and percussion sounds coming from the field. It fits better (not that I care for singing in drum corps much anyway). However, an amplified voice sticks out too much. It's very jarring to my ear. It's not in character with the overall tone of an acoustic ensemble. To me it doesn't blend it or fit.

Edited by shawn craig

Cascades by far, followed by Cadets.

Bluecoats amped vocals didn't bother me (beyond the fact that they're amped vocals) and neither did Blue Devils, because those two corps didn't use them to broadcast the 'point' of the show to the audience.

Both Cascades and Cadets took any mystery out of their show with the narration--they assumed the audience was too stupid to figure it out on their own, so added Cliffsnotes throughout the show.

Blue Devils show this year is, I think, the only example we've come across the past two years wherein a show could not be possible without those vocals.

To all of the people who thought the BD guy was annoying... yeah - I'm not a fan of his speech, but he gets points with me for one reason:

While he's making this entire schpeel, he's playing extremely difficult stuff at the same time. At one point, I watched him as he had an octave in his left hand playing, and a second in his right hand going from keys to keys on his keyboard. That gets a lot of points with me just because of the difficulty in the multi-tasking. Everyone else in their narration (i think Coats played a little bit as well) stopped what they were doing to narrate. Seattle wins the most annoying for me. Cadets cut their narration down quite a bit from the first time I saw them.

To all of the people who thought the BD guy was annoying... yeah - I'm not a fan of his speech, but he gets points with me for one reason:

While he's making this entire schpeel, he's playing extremely difficult stuff at the same time.  At one point, I watched him as he had an octave in his left hand playing, and a second in his right hand going from keys to keys on his keyboard.  That gets a lot of points with me just because of the difficulty in the multi-tasking.  Everyone else in their narration (i think Coats played a little bit as well) stopped what they were doing to narrate.  Seattle wins the most annoying for me.  Cadets cut their narration down quite a bit from the first time I saw them.

He is a very talented young man and has a great voice.

Most of us are critisizing him along with the narration, myself included.

We really shoud be clear that it's not him or his voice we don't like, it's just that I'd rather hear the BD hornline (well if they'd actually played a melody in this show I would have). It's the narration itself that I (and I think most of us) don't like.

Cascades by far, followed by Cadets. 

Bluecoats amped vocals didn't bother me (beyond the fact that they're amped vocals) and neither did Blue Devils, because those two corps didn't use them to broadcast the 'point' of the show to the audience. 

Both Cascades and Cadets took any mystery out of their show with the narration--they assumed the audience was too stupid to figure it out on their own, so added Cliffsnotes throughout the show.

Blue Devils show this year is, I think, the only example we've come across the past two years wherein a show could not be possible without those vocals.

You obviously haven't seen the shows. Blue Devils DO use narration to broadcast the point of their show. And it probably isn't even necessary - the show is easy to understand by itself - it's a dance derby!

Cadets did NOT add Cliffs Notes throughout the show. There is narration at the beginning ONLY, to explain the door. There is "drumspeak" in the middle of the show, but not narration. Even if you count the drumspeak as narration, there is far less of it than in Blue Devils show.