• 2. Cadets
    • 3. Cascades
    • 4. Blue Devils

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife saw it last night and told me all about it. she's not as hardcore about dci like I am, and she actually gets into some of the more screwed up shows than I do.

she said BD made her want to shoot the screen out, and for Cadets she felt like she needed to take a hit of LSD to get it.

It's really nice to see a wide variety in different types of shows but it's almost to much to handle. It's nearly impossible to compare shows with SCV whose show was to old school for me and BD/ Cadets at the opposite end of the spectrum. I liked all of the Midwest corps performances because they all provided something uniquely different but didn't leave me feeling empty. Maybe its just from seeing DCI Finals for the first time in theater. Maybe the shows were better live with the amplification but I couldn't help but feel irritated by the vocals. Narration wouldn't bother me if it sounded more natural. If any corps is to use narration in the future please use a seperate amp with no bass boost. Ugh. :blush:

BD's show is a dance competition.  The dude talking isn't some invisible voice telling you a story, he's the freakin M.C.  Only with BD's show does having someone talk during it make sense.  You're watching a competition take place.  Funny that it's such a hard concept for most of you to grasp.  This isn't like Crusader's "Color, blah blah blah."

First time I was exposed to BD this season I HEARD it from the corps parking lot in Alton, IL and thought they were doing a game show thing. Pretty downright annoying whether he's the freakin' M.C. or invisible narrator or ringmaster or spectator or gaggle of high school guard kids sitting behind me or anyone else who distracts me by TALKING when music is being played.

Same night I saw the army cot props by the BD equipment truck and thought "Cool, their drivers can grab a quick power nap before driving all night." Silly me.

A couple of nights later I actually saw the show and managed to 'grasp it'. I still thought it pretty annoying.......so much so that I passed on several opportunities to see BD live after that. By the time I went to the cinemacast Thursday I decided that it would have been much cooler to do the dance marathon from beginning to end and once a performer 'collapsed' from exhaustion they were 'out' for the rest of the show. Imagine, beginning a show with 135 members and finishing with 15-20 who have continued to march, play, dance, spin, and perform drill around the obstacles presented by their fallen colleagues. I'd have paid to see that!

My wife, who's favorite 'other' corps has always been the Blue Devils commented that she would rather pretend she missed the corps by having to go to the bathroom for 15 minutes.

David

Edited by notelvis

There is ONE thing I noticed that I'm not sure anyone else has:

Of the corps that used narration LAST year, NONE of them are using it THIS year.

wonder why...

"Not Used":

Firstly: The narration used by ALL OF THEM is more than a "Little Annoying". Anytime a show has to be EXPLIAINED it isn't doing it's job. What happened to the PERFORMANCE selling itself. Hawthorne's Alumni seemed to have no trouble getting their message over to the crowd.

Second: No need to wonder Rich. They got it "Out of their systems" last season. Maybe, with a "Little bit of Luck" it will just "Go Away".

Elphaba