2007 Rose Bowl - Pasedena

And Dave is correct, the Central Coast is beautiful!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being from near Buffalo, N.Y., I don't like the California thing.

Too many corps won't be able to afford it. Just my opinion.

Besides, all the west coast corps will still have to come to the east coast anyway. It's not like BD and SCV will stay out west all season. With Indy and Allentown, they'll still have to come out here. This is just adding a major expense to all the other corps. Sky Ryders are one example of how going to California can kill a corps -- they never fulled recovered financially from going to California in 1991, even though they made Finals that year.

It's about time DCI get a Finals rotation started ... four set cities over a five-year rotation, leaving a "wild card" every fifth year.

My choices:

-- Denver ... that should be good enough, West Coasters

-- Madison ... well, DUH!!

-- Buffalo ... sure, I'm biased, but it's a great stadium.

-- Orlando ... now, I keep hearing that everyone hates it there, but DCI seems to have such a good rapport with Disney/ABC/ESPN.

And can we pull these major regionals out of Domes, please?

- R -

Going to California wasn't what killed Sky, it might not have helped their finances, but a lot goes into the financial well being of a corps. Maybe they should not have taken that trip if they were not financially ready for it?!

Other corps throughout DC history have used going to finals or DCI as their "killed us" blame. We all know that it takes a lot of different things to "kill" a corps.

There are also corps that are still around today because they knew that sitting a year (or more) out would be better for their financial future.

Just like fans choose which finals to go to, most corps have that option. When the corps directors meet with DCI, they will voice their concerns.

I agree with the rotation idea!

I would also love to see it in Kansas City, MO every year. Central location in the States would be beneficial.

Orlando has proven to be a very bad location for many reasons, but yes, the Disney money/connection has put it down there many times.

I also have heard a lot of negatives about Domes, but again, beggars can't be choosers. We have to take whatever stadium/town will take us on the dates that we need.

Since drum corps and DCI do not own their own stadiums or housing or parking or etc... we have a heck of a lot of behind the scenes issues to contend with every year and at every show

Edited by Julie Holmen

Corps will have LITTLE to NO rehearsal time out there cause they'll have to leave 4 hours before they perform!!!

b**bs

I live in Valencia, that's further away then any corps would need to be, but I could understand corps wanting to house here because it's much nicer than some of the areas between here and Pasadena. Point being, I drive to Pasadena 5 days a week and it takes me 30-45 minutes to get there even when I hit the morning traffic.

Are there transit options? LA has light rail now. Does it go to Pasadena or anywhere near the Rose Bowl? What about regular commuter rail? Sure would be nice to go to a major DCI event without traffic hassles and without being gouged to park.

David

The Gold Line runs from Union Station (downtown LA) to Pasadena I believe (I know something does). For major events at the Rose Bowl they run shuttles from Parsons' parking lot and from the parking structures in Old Town Pasadena, I'd be willing to be some of those shuttlese pick up at or near the Gold Line station. The parking prices I don't know for sure, but I think it's like $5 or $10 to park in Old Town and it varies at the stadium depending on the event. Parking for the Rose Bowl game at the stadium is $25 so I'd imagine parking for DCI will probably be less than that.

Hey Ryan,  The only reason I mention Valencia is because it is a VERY fun town for kids, and you can sneak in and out on the 210. If we really wanted to play a joke on a Corp we could house them in Palmdale or Victorville!

:blush: Valencia's fun? Please clue me in on the cool things to do here......since I live here. Granted for the drum corps kids from out of the area there is Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor, that would be a nice free day for them (I never go there, but when you grow up 5 minutes away from it, well the excitement is lost rather quickly). As for putting them in Palmdale that would suck!!!! and I'll tell you why. The high schools in AV (and this is first hand information from multiple AV HS Band Directors and staff members) have black top practice fields for their bands because they don't want them on the grass because the soil is crap so the band rehearsing on it kills it rather quickly. Now I know that corps will rehearse on concrete and whatever else if they have to, but the practice field at at least one of those schools isn't at all level (I mean it's like marching down hill when teaching basics) and the yard lines aren't even at all.

Speaking of Valencia though I think that College of the Canyons (in Valencia) would be a great place to hold the Div II/III Championships. It's the largest stadium in the area that I know of other than the Rose Bowl. Significantly nicer and larger than Mt. SAC's or PCC's, and the school has more than enough parking for the Corps' trucks and Busses to park at the school instead of having to park down the street and around the corner and wherever else so that there's room for the spectators to park (I know that was a problem at one of the SoCal shows this year with the High School not having room for more than a couple busses on the campus. There's be plenty of school's for housing the corps in; in SCV (where Valencia is) there are 6 high schools, 6 Jr. Highs, and more elementary schools than I know about, then there's Northridge, Chatsworth, Granada Hills, etc all close to Valencia.

I heard a rumor at the Seattle area Cinecast about the Seattle show being used as one of the bigger set up shows for Pasedena.  Possibly getting a large number of Div. 1 corps.

I was there too, and if I recall correctly, it was someone from the Seattle Cascades who said that "the tour will come through Seattle!" He then said there would be AT LEAST 10 DIV 1 corps at the show! It may not be a regional, but 10 is a heck of a lot better than the 2-4 we've been getting!!! I'm Pumped!!!

I herd rumor that many corps will be at the Seattle show. Cool! But I will be at Pasadena as well. Anywhere West Coast is good! I talked to someone with DCI and the big draw is the local school support and their attendance at Finals.

Like I so elegantly said earlier...

"Waa waa waa"

IT'S GOING TO BE IN CALIFREAKINHEREICOMEAFTER33YEARSANDIHAVEN'T BEENTOFINALSIN20YEARSFORNIA!!!

Oh... Just give us directions to your house, we'll be there. B)

Take the 110 south to Slauson. Take Slauson west to Normandie and turn left. Make a right at Florence and follow it to Centinela park near the tracks. At the northeast corner of the park there's a guy named Rollo. He'll tell ya how to get here.

It's hot everywhere in August -- probably less so in Pasadena, and certainly less humid than anyplace Finals has been except Denver. And lodging? Do you think it's more expensive than it is in/around Boston?

Less hot in Pasadena than other places in August? This year maybe, but we had a lot of rain and it's been a mild summer. I'm also thinking more of the outlying areas where the corps would be staying and practicing. As Ryan mentioned there are serious issues here with rehearsal places. It's a desert out there. DCI has never experienced southern CA in August. You'll see.

The hotel prices immediate to the stadium would be about the same as Boston, but Boston is a much more condensed city. You can get cheaper accomodations not too far away. There is also public transportation in Boston and virtually none here. LA is very spread out and a cheaper hotel that's good could be many miles from the stadium.

I'm still trying to figure out the rationale. The Rose Bowl is a distinct step down from the state of the art brand spankin new finals stadiums of recent years. The LA/Pasadena community is one of the least drum corps minded in the US. I guess they got it cheap.