Cabs Alumni at Semifinals

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still surprised that DCI invited the Cabs Alumni and greatly pleased by the reports of the crowd and DCI corps members reaction to the show. I haven't seen the field show yet (can't wait for Scranton) but have heard the Cabs Alumni in concert and it sounds to me like a 70s (and before) based show. So yes what went on the field the other night is not representative of DCA corps today. Even the Cabs present competing corps don't sound quite like this anymore. (And I do enjoy both.)

After years of DCI being marketed and shown on the PBS broadcasts as "This is Drum Corps" and DCA not being mentioned all I can say is it's about time. If this shows DCI members and fans that there is Drum Corps after you age out, more power to the Cabs Alumni and whoever thought to invite them.

If any aged out DCI members still want to compete there is something called DCA if you are lucky enough to live near one of these corps. If you can't do the every weekend bit or are burned out by competing there might be an Alumni corps willing to take you in. Cabs Alumni are one of the few who do a field show, most alumni groups are parade corps. Only one or two are 100% made up of past members of the same competing corps. A lot will even take in people with no corps experience. *Shameless plug for the Sr/Alumni groups* B)

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Can't we have both styles?

I like Baskin Robbins because they have 31 flavors (but the bubble gum makes me sick EVERY TYIME!)

If we keep on beating each other up, all we'll have left is the top 5 DCI and the Saxophone caption at I & E.

It's so strange for me to see how sensitive drum corps folks can be. And how, often times, we assume that the OTHER person in the discussion is not educated about corpsdom. Think about it. Would ANYONE on this site be here unless they knew SOMETHING about drum and bugle corps?

It's a small community. Alienate? No. Educate! Or, better yet...conversate (my word, hope you like it!)

The CABS alumni corps is like a classic car. Some folks love the classic 1973 Dodge Challenger and some prefer a new BMW. Both will get you there in a certain style. And both can be appreciated for what they are.

One is not necessarily "better" than the other and to have a debate about which is "better" misses the point.

Royalaires Alumni (my fave!), Cabs Alumni, Erie Thunderbirds, etc. are all part of the DCA Alumni Corps Circuit that showcases at DCA every year. It's a big enough deal that the corps have their own separate event...separate admission is charged and some folks show up at DCA just to see the alumni outfits. That's good stuff! I mean, heaven forbid we reach out to the old-timers who were (and STILL ARE) part of our activity and give them a product they are willing to pay admission to see.

DCA goes even further with the Mini-Corps. What's that? More than anything, it's standstill groups of 15-30 members who have just as much enthusiasm, but not the membership to compete with the big dogs. But DCA gives 'em a format and a chance to compete. None of 'em suck. Most of 'em are hardcorps veterans who can throw down good solos and pack an entertainment punch. Kind of like FutureCorps.

Last point. The DCA prelims and Finals provide a great entertainment value. The top ticket price is $40 and fans get to see good drum corps, especially the top 6, but it extends through the top 12. Empire, Brigadiers, Minnesota Brass, Renegades, Buccaneers, Bushwackers, Cabs...all these corps have great packages and all of 'em have staffs and members that have competed in DCI so they know "good drum corps."

DCA will never be DCI. To compare them is ludicrous. DCI will win the argument every time. But is that the point?

I think Tenor Tim soiled his point by expressing his dislike for the Caballeros and their organization.

I agree there is a big difference between the performances of DCA alumni corps and the competitive units in DCA. But, not having seen ANY of the alumni corps perform since I went to DCA in 2001, I won't presume to comment on whether Cabs alumni performance at DCI this year was a "fair representation of DCA", or whether or not that's even the point.

There's a lot of beautiful things in the DCA world. If they don't like it, screw 'em. All the more for us :)

A truly evil reply. ^0^

First off, let me say this.  I'm not a big fan of the Hawthorne Caballeros nor their alumni corps but I respect and appreciate what they stand for and what they've done in the past.  I just don't like their style.  I prefer listening to quality music.  Not the "rat rat rat" coming from the horn line (outside of Frank Ponzo - great soloist).  Sorry, not my thing.  Their Alumni corps was well represented (numbers wise) and alot of the "old timers" really had a good time while they performed.  And, that's why they were there ... to perform and entertain the audience.  I was not entertained but I'm one opinion (you have yours and I have mine).

With that said, to all of the people out there that don't know alot about Senior Drum Corps ....  the caballeros alumni corps IS NOT what senior drum corps (or DCA) is about.  They are an alumni corps.  These are people that have marched in the past and still enjoy playing and performing without the rigors of the typical drum corps season (i.e.  all day practices on every Saturday and Sunday (and some Fridays), traveling, etc.)

DCA circuit puts out some great products.  I would be willing to bet the top 2 or 3 drumlines and hornlines and color guards would give some of the top 12 DCI corps a run for their money.  They're not as polished because they don't have the rehearsal time the junior corps do.  But, they have the chops and the show package/design that is very well thought out and very entertaining.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Cabs Alumni.  But, let's make sure everyone understands who they are and what they're about.  And, more importantly who they're not.

Sorry, if I offended anyone.  It's not my intention.  I had to get this off of my chest because, as I was leaving the stadium on Friday night I overheard, on separate occassions, some midwestern (or southern) folks talking about them being a Senior Drum and Bugle corps that competes in DCA.  And, wondered if they were the best in DCA and that's why they did the exhibition.

I did not have a chance to correct them.

Thanks for the "correction" LOL

and yet..with all your infinite knowlege, you STILL had to ask if they were the best in DCA and IF thats why they were playing.ZZZZzzzzzzzzzsnore maybe you can share your opinion on global warming?