Did Hopkins REALLY say that?

From DCI's website:

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=9...64-63afb9a00e9e

“I noticed these kids got extremely confident as we started to place better, and it’s kind of unusual for me to go through that with them, and the more confident they got the better they performed, the better they performed, the scores went up,” Hopkins said.

“I don’t know what comes in first in all that, but it’s something to take a look at, for me. It’s hard to be confident when you’re coming in eighth, you know?” Hopkins said.

What a thing to say. I'm sure SCV and everyone finsishing below them just loved that one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he wasn't talking about the specific corps that came in eighth finals night, he was talking about the "realm" of eighth place. And, probably thinking how his kids would be if they were in eighth place.

I am SURE it wasn't a slam on SVC or whoever came in 8th Quarters and Semis, or any other show for that matter.

Here we go again.

Do you honestly think he was taking a stab at SCV. I think what he said here is dead on, especially for any corps like SCV that is used to placing higher.

I, of course, had similar thoughts when I read that quote, but couldn't the point have come across just as well if he hadn't mentioned a specific number? Obviously it's a strong coincidence (nothing more) that the 8th place corps this year is the one corps you wouldn't expect that low, but still strange.

Edited by tubawarrior

Here we go again. 

Do you honestly think he was taking a stab at SCV.  I think what he said here is dead on, especially for any corps like SCV that is used to placing higher.

I agree. What motivation would he have to take a stab at SCV? That's a ridiculous assertion. Oh well, there's one thread micro analyzing the Cadets score and know we'll probably have multiple threads micro analyzing Hopkins' comments or maybe even his facial expressions. <**>

Let me clarify.

I don't think that he necessarily meant it as a slam of SCV. SCV just happened to be in 8th. He just happened to mention 8th place. I think these are coincidences, but I'm just saying that anyone finishing 8th or lower could take some offense to it.

I've finished on both sides of 8th place in my life before so I know what its like, but it didn't change my confidence. Do you think that the Glassmen weren't confident last night? You think the Boston Crusaders went out there thinking, "man we're in 9th, I'm kinda worried... " I seriously doubt it.

I don't think it was a slam on SCV, but a slap in the face of all hardworking corps that put out a quality product that only manages to achieve eighth or less, that somehow that's an achievement not worthy of confidence.

I'm sure it's just a slip of the tongue, but it's indicative of his arrogance to say such a thing publicly if you ask me.

From DCI's website:

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=9...64-63afb9a00e9e

“I noticed these kids got extremely confident as we started to place better, and it’s kind of unusual for me to go through that with them, and the more confident they got the better they performed, the better they performed, the scores went up,” Hopkins said.

“I don’t know what comes in first in all that, but it’s something to take a look at, for me. It’s hard to be confident when you’re coming in eighth, you know?” Hopkins said.

What a thing to say.  I'm sure SCV and everyone finsishing below them just loved that one.

"Eighth Not Confident"?

Whats that old saying:

"Absolute power corrupts absoulutly"?

Or do you lose touch with reality?

Elphaba

Let me clarify.

I don't think that he necessarily meant it as a slam of SCV.  SCV just happened to be in 8th.  He just happened to mention 8th place.  I think these are coincidences, but I'm just saying that anyone finishing 8th or lower could take some offense to it. 

I've finished on both sides of 8th place in my life before so I know what its like, but it didn't change my confidence.  Do you think that the Glassmen weren't confident last night?  You think the Boston Crusaders went out there thinking, "man we're in 9th, I'm kinda worried... " I seriously doubt it.

You may have finished on both sides of 8th, but as a cadet? They are used to being in top 4 position consistently. If they spent some time in 8th position, thye might lose some confidence.

Sometimes, it is best to keep motivational speeches specific to one group within that group. I am sure there was no slam intended, nor should one be inferred.