Biggest messups in DCA history?

Keith Griffin!  Oh man I love Keith he is such a trip!  I haven't heard from him in a few years!

Hey, does his brother play the trumpet outside of Penn Station/MSG? I was talking to him one night, said his brother played with both Hawthorne and New York. As I walked across the street he played a "Call to the Bulls", followed by an "I love New York"... and I walked down 34th St with the "rumps" fading in the back ground.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea..#### maybe it was him... hahaha! Joe Santoro always said he lived on a bench in Manhattan...

Actually I think Keith is working for one of the school systems there... I wish I still had his email address..I think the last time I heard from him was just after 911 and he sent an "I'm OK" message to everyone.

Hey, does his brother play the trumpet outside of Penn Station/MSG?  I was talking to him one night, said his brother played with both Hawthorne and New York.  As I walked across the street he played a "Call to the Bulls", followed by an "I love New York"... and I walked down 34th St with the "rumps" fading in the back ground.

"ooooh that smell...can't ya smell that smell..." ($1. to Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Of course, Steve M saying , "do it for Benny Behrens and Norm " was what made it so emotional for me. I remember turning around from warm-up with tears in my eyes over that one.  It was very intense ....that and the "smell" from under your hotel door !

yeah know...I was going to post something about a show in NY where most of the hornline was too drunk and a couple guys fell over when turning around during Big Noise but....that's a Westshore disaster too !!! Geez, are we the only ones that will admit to failures ?? OR-was there more to the jinxed pink plumes than we knew about?

that was in 81 on the way back from Rochester. We did an Ex in Muncy, PA and during the song, Spanish Dreams, the horns did an about face and then went down on their knees. John Bowling made the about face, but fell flat on his back and finished the tune. Right after he fell, from where I was at on the feild, I heard him say, "WHOOPS!" :P

that was in 81 on the way back from Rochester.  We did an Ex in Muncy, PA and during the song, Spanish Dreams, the horns did an about face and then went down on their knees.  John Bowling made the about face, but fell flat on his back and finished the tune.  Right after he fell, from where I was at on the feild, I heard him say, "WHOOPS!"  :P

whoops doesn't sum it up, does it ?? Do you remember how we used to do that horrible ex at the Little league baseball world series in Williamsport and that D*mn Phillie mascot used to comeout on the field with us? I think it was the same year and Donny S told him while we were on the field...maybe another year...when we played Icarus (that was bad) that he was going to beat the #### out of him if he didn't get out of his f*ing way? There weren't too many shows that I didn't laugh at something he said to me on the field...he would always make a "off coment" about something or someone....mostly me....gosh, I miss that !

Well, speaking of penalties and the Cabs, in 1982 during the DCA prelims, the Cabs were warming up in the park across the street from J Birny Crum. Just so happened that the warmup number was building to the hit in Evita and the corps let it fly while there was a quiet moment in the Matadors prelim performance. Richtie Price, the soloist actually turned around and had a "what the ? " expression on his face. I think it was least a one point or more penalty backing the Cabs into 6th after prelims. Finals was the same night so the corps came out and took out all the frustration with one of the most electrifying perfomances (literally if anyone ever remmebers the old magic cube flash at the end of the rumps) in their storied history moving up 2 places in finals.  The reporter for Drum Corps World reported 7 standing ovations throughout the show. Keith Griffin, who played the soprano solo in Land of Make Believe for the '76 Bridgemen reprised his solo in the '82 Cabs. Keith was on fire the whole show.  He nailed every note.

:whistle:

WOW !

I thought no one would remember that show. A bunch of us from MBI drove out to Allentown that year, and most of us remember the part where Ritchee Price was playing a sweet solo, and all of a sudden we heard the Cabs from down the street..Yes, Ritchee stopped and turned around when he heard Hawthorne.

All of us said to each other, 'how big a penalty was that going to be?'

To reiterate with BariBone - I will go to my grave wondering how Keith Griffin wasn't awarded Best Soloist that night...I can't remember a performance like that..I thought the Cabs absolutely SMOKED that night, and I thought the best part was the flashcubes they set up on the last chord! That was cool, and triggered yet another of those standing O's they got that night.

I will put that show as one of the best, even with the Cabs Prelim feau pax.

Pat

It was an out of body experience to play that show that night. I remember vividly people standing by the fence at field level holding their ears when we hit the last chord. I remember looking at Russo for the cue at the end of the show out of the corner of my eye and seeing Jim Costello leaping into the air. The hornline was 58 strong. 24 sops, 18 baris, 4 flugels, 6 mellos and 6 contras. You could actually hear people yelling from the stands during all parts of the show..like "6th place my ###" Even after we left the field, you could hear a buzz throughout the crowd for a while very similar to when a guy would hit a 560 ft home run in baseball. Sadly, this performance was in the pre-DVD era and pre VHS era. The record sounds intense but like most live performances, you had to be there. I'm glad someone else was there and never forgot it!

Oooh, I've got one.  How about when Bush trooped the stands in 2005 finals.  Now that was a doozie.  I heard it cost them a placement.

Oh yeah???? I've got a better screwup, regarding the 2005 Finals..... :huh:

Fran