Biggest messups in DCA history?

How about 1990 Cumberland, MD (I believe it was 1990)  The guy who screwed up the Start Spangled Banner worse than anyone in history.  Now that was funny.

Dave,

that was a classic. Bearing in mind its not my anthem, I was trying to not crack up and appearr disrespectful, then I saw Joe Itkors shoulders started to go up and down infront of me and then one by one we all started to crack up!!

An absolute gem. I'm still not sure what went wrong with the song!!

Edited by Bushbrit

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right Jim it was the 1980 American Legion Campionships in Boston. 

Reading had gone on early in the show and then the sky opened up with a downpour.  The show was stopped and we assumed that that was the end of the night.  So we went back to our rooms for a little something to quench our thirst.  :mmm:  However, after a while the storm had passed and the show resumed. 

We were staying in the College dorms at the end of the Stadium, so we had a good view of the field as the contest continued.  As I sat at the window finishing off another cold one, Westshore was finishing up their show.  In an attempt to play up to the American Legion crowd, Westshore unfurled a GIANT American Flag across the field at the end of their show.  Unfortunately, it was upside down AND backwards (the stars were in the bottom right hand corner)! :sshh:

As the beer came out of my nose and slattered all over the window, we developed the Westshore Salute.  b**bs  It is a left handed, upside down salute which is still exchanged between Reading's 1980 Alumni. 

There's a kind of funny OT aside to that story... Reading was not at all happy about the results that night, and rehearsed on the stadium field all the next day.  With each command given by the dm, the entire corps responded in tempo with an anglo saxon expletive followed by the 2 syllable name of one of the marching judges from the night before.  I won't get into the name, but for all you old Bucs who remember what I'm talking about, just let's say it was a phrase that could have had some interesting connotations in Boston.

and you guys thought no one was listening.

Some things are too funny to make up....

Thanks for the memories WS.

P.S.  The Doves were pretty funny too.  (Birds don't like to fly at night!!!) :P

1996 when they made all the corps play that patriotic song as we went on for retreat...and half the corps took it seriously.

1991 when they shot off fireworks and set the mountain on fire

03 brigs...very first soloist...very first thing u here from their show accually

1991 when they shot off fireworks and set the mountain on fire

everyone started singing, the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.... :P

and chaos ensued on the field. some people left the field, went to the bar, filled up, then went back down on the field

:ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
Wow.. I would have thought the biggest mess up in DCA history was the 1986 RI Matadors.

:worthy:

Sharon

PS: :)

well, that was a close 2nd :P