Wow you people are over analyzing a show. Sometimes it's just best to go only 1 inch deep into a show and just sit back and enjoy it. Otherwise your just beating a show with a rod asking it to spill out some kind of answer like "innovation."

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, see I thought it worked beautifully this year, moreso than in 2003.  The choice of Twisted Nerve was absolutely perfect, and set the mood so much so that I don't think the rest of the show would have had the same effect without it.  It was like the soundtrack intro during the opening credits of a movie, that gets you exciting and intrigued for what you're about to see.  :)

Wow! I'm lovin' that take on it! :P

Now, I guess I definitely have to order the DVDS...

I have a question. It's just a question. So don't tell me I'm a total moron because I forgot that the East Westchester Northstars (champions of the Southern conference) used that back before time.

Is the use of the school girl an innovation? By that I mean, was it an innovation to use a unique "character" who operates, for the most part, detached from the movements of the brass, percussion and drums but is nonetheless the natural focal point for the audience?

Is it different from SCV's Phantom or Madison's Carmen (or Alice) or Phantom's Gene Kelly or Cadet's Appalachain Spring chick (no offense)? Did the school girls have a unique role in this show?

I'm asking.

HH

Wow!  I'm lovin' that take on it!  :P

Now, I guess I definitely have to order the DVDS...

I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO BUY THE 2003 DVD! :)

To be a DCI fan in the 2000s, it is a REQUIRED ASSIGNMENT TO WATCH PHANTOM REGIMENT 2003 - HARMONIC JOURNEY. :blink:

Wow you people are over analyzing a show. Sometimes it's just best to go only 1 inch deep into a show and just sit back and enjoy it. Otherwise your just beating a show with a rod asking it to spill out some kind of answer like "innovation."

If this show was from 1975, I'd agree with you.

However, subtext is where you look for it nowadays. Hop himself even lamented the fact that certain "portions" of the show weren't spotlighted in order to more easily tease out the meaning of certain points in the show.

Modern drum corps is about a multitude of things now: the performance, the difficulty, the story...which can include certain points that the average viewing may not uncover. Each brings with it a different layer.

The caveat to that is that some folks (not speaking of the Cadets here, so no flames, thanks :) ) like to concentrate on the "story" part only, in order to create something that seems like it has "depth" but in reality is a lot of puffery. Some program notes bear this out, and the kids end up with a product that is overprogrammed and in some cases, overthought.

It takes a great team to bring all these elements...performance, story, execution...in at the same level of excellence. So, while its certainly awesome to appreciate drum corps on its most basic level (which, really, is the way I like it: see Madison 1995 ^0^ ) as a great performance deisgned to get you out of your seat, there's no harm in scratching the surface of a show in order to further your appreciation of it. In fact, with the way shows are now, with multiple viewings required...I'd say it's almost a necessity.

As, always, IMO, and my two schekles. b**bs

Yeah I'm saying it's nice to go a little deep, but some people are like whew, trying to see what medication/diet the designers were using during the development before the season.

Is the use of the school girl an innovation? By that I mean, was it an innovation to use a unique "character" who operates, for the most part, detached from the movements of the brass, percussion and drums but is nonetheless the natural focal point for the audience?

Is it different from SCV's Phantom or Madison's Carmen (or Alice) or Phantom's Gene Kelly or Cadet's Appalachain Spring chick (no offense)? Did the school girls have a unique role in this show?

I'm asking.

HH

My answer to all of your questions is - nope not new IMO. But it seems to be drawing allot of attention (See post #81 for my humble opinion on why some people may be working this show over.)

And Tommy... YES you told me to watch 2003 - but you didn't say I had to purchase the DVD. :blink: (I was gonna borrow them from somebody.) And I promise to watch the shows in the order you specified in your e-mail... It's all good!

B)

And I promise to watch the shows in the order you specified in your e-mail...

Bah! After reading some of the shows he likes, I bet that list is all backwards. :P

I'll give ya the real list. :blink: