...and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth...sigh...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it did, the first time I saw it, I admit I was appalled, and I still am, at the uniforms.  But, opinions change, quite easily over a summer, I might add.  & even if I didn't like the show, you cannot deny this innovation.

Ok, I'll bite. Truthfully, I found some moments to be awe inspiring, however, this clear cut decree of innovation ?? Where ?? You seem to have a grasp on it so please can you fill me in on what was so innovative ??

~G~

Ok, I'll bite. Truthfully, I found some moments to be awe inspiring, however, this clear cut decree of innovation ?? Where ?? You seem to have a grasp on it so please can you fill me in on what was so innovative ??

~G~

-A show you can watch 50 times and never see the same product...

-Drumspeak

-Drill seperating gaurd and horn/drumline

-Most descript storytelling of DCI history

-Original music that....works...

:)

I hated it at first, and by the end i loved it.

Ditto,

When I saw them in Westminster i thought I was gonna be sick. It was not something I wanted to see drum corps evolve into.

However the next time I saw the show (at Quarter Finals) I was amazed at what I was watching and how much different it seemed from that late june performance.

By Finals I was totally eating this show up, and wish I had gotten higher up for the encore like my brother did because he told me we missed a lot of the drill visuals going on.

Can't wait for the DVD.

-Drumspeak

Thank you. . . simply, thank you.

-Drumspeak

First point - agreed, but does that make it innovative? Most high quality shows have this aspect.

Second point - say it instead of play it is innovative? Not sure I'd go there, but that's your view, and I'll respect that.

Edit (oops - forget drill comment - the real third point) - nothing new here.

Third point - buzzzzzz, thank you for playing. Try watching SCV in 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 94. Try Sky Ryders in 85, 86, 87, 88. Try Suncoast Sound 84, 85, 88. Try Bridgemen in 81. Try Phantom Regiment in 81 and 82. THAT is effective story telling.

Last point - well, that's all a matter of opinion. Personally, I like the music, but I don't think it's the first time original music has worked. Take a look at Cavies opener in 83, or Suncoast Sound in 85, 88, and 89. There was some original music that worked rather well. So I'd hardly call the original, or psuedo-original music played by Cadets this year innovative.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

Let's think about Cadets an innovation one  There is always, ALWAYS, something going on.  Whether it be the drumline, the Catholic girl, drill formations, you will (most likely) never see and percieve the show the same time twice.  In my opinion, of course.

The first 2/3 of the show were extremely well arranged, and the whole show was beautifully played. But there was a lot less, thematically, than met the eye. If someone can really look at the schoolgirls in their little costumes and see something deep, then they should stay away from books like "Ulysses"- they'll drown. B)

A few visual/costume tricks does not make something 'innovative'. The artform will not change in response to what they did this time. Garfield's 83 show stands as one of the most innovative shows in the field, and it DID have an effect on the whole of the activity, so they have done it before - just not this year.

Edited by mobrien

Second point - say it instead of play it is innovative?  Not sure I'd go there, but that's your view, and I'll respect that.

You may not have liked it, but seeing as it has not been done before (right?) it more than qualifies as innovative.

buuuuzzzzzzzz. . . .thank you for playing.