Now that singing has become "acceptable"

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i am sure that analogy will be lumped in with the new Coke one...it doesn't fit the powers that be version of reality.

What on earth does that mean?

But for my final post before hitting the hay tonight -- just because you seek out and/or pay more attention to negative opinions that happen to line up with your own doesn't mean that I'm hiding under a rock. Refer to my earlier post (#239).

For someone who is boycotting DCI, you sure spend a lot of time in the junior corps forum!

i miss it. i dont want to see DCI die, but at the same time, I can't say i'm dying to go back.

i know my $3k a year isn't killing them, but imagine if they had it...it could help even in the smallest ways.

What on earth does that mean?

But for my final post before hitting the hay tonight -- just because you seek out and/or pay more attention to negative opinions that happen to line up with your own doesn't mean that I'm hiding under a rock.  Refer to my earlier post (#239).

i seek out all sides. i just hear more negative.

and the new Coke analogy i refer is an older one on DCp many of used...when you change the product too much and people don't like it, sales dry up and you're hurting.

many people tried to say it wasn't valid.

About all of the 'hard work' they would be putting in, it would probably be a recording for rehearsal and like #### they would sleep on a gym floor, they'd have their regular tour bus that's all decked out with beds and a big screen tv. so saying that they would see all the work that there would be to do and not do anything with corps because of it is just another excuse to diss this thread.

Is this a serious topic ?  How about common sense - ie: MONEY ! , How about time ?? They do have busy lives and contracts.to fufill, appearances already booked and albums to deliver to their record labels.

Oh, and singing, mic'd singing in drum corps....sorry, just cause one corps has tried it it hasnt "taken off" and been embraced and I doubt it ever will.

~amen~

~G~

they did it in the movie Drumline. and yes I know movies are fiction...however a lot of them also start trends. Yeah this whole topic may seem really out there, but I'm sure amps seemed really out there in the early 90's too.

oh and for the record, I don't necessarly agree with the topic, however nothing is impossible...out there maybe, but not impossible.

in reference to the posts above what you quoted Mike, i stated this because more and more fans are disgruntled.

but since you quoted this out of context to what it followed ( or you ignored) i'll clarify yet again....

if more and more fans get fed up...not the teeny boppers getting the 20% discount to get in, but the diehards,m those spending hundreds to thousands on DCI.....when the wallet hurts, maybe they will learn.

it's more than attendance that hurts the wallet. it's donations, sponsors, souvie sales etc.....i guarantee you if attendance went up in the NFL, but all the ancilliries dried up, the NFL would take notice.

Well, DCI appears to be in the best financial shape it's been in as far as I can remember. Unless I have evidence to the contrary, I don't believe that "more and more" are getting fed up...shows I go to have a nice mix of legacy and new fans.

Anecdotal evidence that "so-and-so is not going to shows"...or "these few people have stopped supporting DCI" are not indicative, IMO, of the totality of the situation.

I'd think that if DCI starts to feel it in their wallet they would most certainly take steps to correct that...which in part is why I reject the premise that it is happening.

Mike

Are souvie sales, donations, and sponsorships really diminishing?

From what I've heard actually, yes they are.

So you're basically just going on hunches and your own opinion of the current state of the activity, right?  Because I frankly haven't heard quite so much dissatisfaction as you seem to have.  And I also figure that the dissatisfied fans are the ones who speak up the loudest while those who are content don't make nearly so much fuss.  It just seems to me like you're projecting your own feelings on the fan base at large.  Like when you say "a product that went awry" you're presenting your opinion as if it were a universally accepted fact.  I'm simply not sure that there's necessarily a huge percentage of fans who feel that way.

:beer::blink::beer:

well, listening to those around me at DCA shows,

<snip>

(In my best Bill Engvall impression):

There's your sign..... :P