Now that singing has become "acceptable"

Mike,

your selective reading skills do you well. please note i never assignbed a number to those dissatisfied. i just said i hear it more and more.

that's all i said. your attempts to twist my words into your viewpoint do not support themselves.

Doesn't matter if it's a few or a thousand. There's no way of knowing whether the people you hear from represent the majority of DCI fans out there, both in opinion and in money spent.

Edited by KingMargeret

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter if it's a few or a thousand.  There's no way of knowing whether the people you hear from represent the majority of DCI fans out there, both in opinion and in money spent.

And there's nothing wrong with New Orleans because you've only heard a few cries for help.

Because you personally, haven't seen the 500,000 people who lived there complaining.

<**>

Edited by apoch003

And there's nothing wrong with New Orleans because you've only heard a few cries for help.

Because you personally, haven't seen the 500,000 people who lived there complaining.

<**>

I wouldn't consider any event, or rule passing that has occured in DCI to be anywhere near a national catastrophe such a Hurricane Katrina.

I know this discussion has gone way off topic, but is there anything stopping a corp from bringing in a special guest singer for finals? Say they had someone stand in during the rest of the season and then bring in the ringer for finals night. That would be very possible for most of the top corps. I could see a band doing an operatic show and then convince Charlotte Church to donate her time to perform for finals. Is there any rule preventing this or something similar from happening?

Well, DCI would know about it in advance because they've got to have birth certificate proof on all performers. No birth certificate proof on file, no performance. At least, that's the way it used to be.

Doesn't matter if it's a few or a thousand.  There's no way of knowing whether the people you hear from represent the majority of DCI fans out there, both in opinion and in money spent.

and dci isn't in a position to lose any fans. they just laid a ton of cash out for the ESPN show.

I wouldn't consider any event, or rule passing that has occured in DCI to be anywhere near a national catastrophe such a Hurricane Katrina.

uh yeah that was a lame analogy

That is true Lance, but if you were to take an educated guess, what would you say is the sentiment around the drum corps activity with regards to singing / narration? Just take a look at the results of the poll on the main page, and yes I know you'll counter citing the typical inaccuracy of internet polling, but the results are overwhelming. Is DCP a good sample of drum corps fans? I think it is. I don't believe that this site's membership is disproportionately populated by amp haters, no more so than the entire drum corps fan base.

Even if I was pro-amp, I would have a hard time believing that the majority of fans like hearing amplified voice.

That is true Lance, but if you were to take an educated guess, what would you say is the sentiment around the drum corps activity with regards to singing / narration?  Just take a look at the results of the poll on the main page, and yes I know you'll counter citing the typical inaccuracy of internet polling, but the results are overwhelming.  Is DCP a good sample of drum corps fans?  I think it is. I don't believe that this site's membership is disproportionately populated by amp haters, no more so than the entire drum corps fan base.

Even if I was pro-amp, I would have a hard time believing that the majority of fans like hearing amplified voice.

DCP is a horrible representation of drum corps fans. It's the elite few who eat, drink, and sleep drum corps, NOT your casual fans. I have friends who are drum corps fans, they didn't even know amps were illegal up until last year. I myself didn't know until I auditioned somewhere and heard discussions about the antichrist wanting to add dreaded amps to our pure and perfect world.

Edit: On another note, several of my friends who knew nothing at all about drum corps before watching Finals on ESPN have said a lot of great things about the Cadets drum speak. Only one person I know said he didn't like it, everyone else that I have talked to thought it was really cool. It was one girls favorite part of the entire show (Finals, not just Cadets)

Edited by dbc03