DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

well that's funny because our sampling so far is running about 2/3's positiveĀ  :P

Sorry George, that is good news I suppose. I only read back about 5 pages and there were but a handful of positive posts, most being critical or neutral at best.

For the record, I love DCP and don't know what I would do without my lifeline to the drum corps world. Cheers.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually , you cant contribute to PBS to keep a particular show on, if that was the case all we would see is drum corps ,and Dr. Who reruns,. what killed DCI on PBS was a lack of funding from the U.S. govt. that forced the network to go to corporations for support, thats why you see those thinly vailed commercials between shows.

PBS was very clear to DCi that the show was not pulling in the pledges during its drives to keep it going. In fact, DCI put out a letter two years ago that pleaded with fans to support PBS. Many would call up and pledge and never send in their money. PBS grew tired of that.

2.Ā  Today, EVERYONE is talking about drum corps.Ā  Like the show or not, today the world is discussing drum corps.Ā  There are alot of conversations going on in band rooms across the country right now.Ā  Good, bad or indifferent - the're talking about what they saw.Ā 

Ummm, Thats all we do here...but just to make sure , I'll head down to the local sports bar and see how many ofĀ  the liqoured up locals are talking about "that marching band thing" last night .

Btw:Emily... I might be home late :P

By everyone, I mean everyone interested in marching music competitions. No need to get sacarstic with me. You marched where?

Actually , you cant contribute to PBS to keep a particular show on, if that was the case all we would see is drum corps ,and Dr. Who reruns,. what killed DCI on PBS was a lack of funding from the U.S. govt. that forced the network to go to corporations for support, thats why you see those thinly vailed commercials between shows.

While a show is on, they target their freebies and requests to the audience for that show...and they keep track of pledges and fulfilled pledges by show.

Drum corps had a miserable record in actually fulfiling the pledges made.

Mike

We got full shows on PBS because they were willing to offer the airtime to DCI.Ā  When we fans stopped supporting the show with pledge money, the PBS thing withered away.Ā 

You want full shows...you had them on PBS and for some reason didn't think your pledge would matter.Ā  Well, apparently it did.Ā 

They will NEVER show full shows on any other network.Ā  You never see 15 mins go by without a commercial break.Ā  (few mins to intro, 11 mins for a show, and a few coming out).Ā  Just not going to happen on regular TV.

I wonder if that was really it? Why all of the top 12 aren't shown in their entirety? I'm willing to bet it was the invention of the VCR that prompted DCI to market it and PBS to show only highlights. Waaaay back as you have stated all corps were shown.

Never the less, I am thankful that even portions are shown on TV, especially a highly popular station such as ESPN2. :worthy:

Edited by Malibu

Sorry George, that is good news I suppose. I only read back about 5 pages and there were but a handful of positive posts, most being critical or neutral at best.

For the record, I love DCP and don't know what I would do without my lifeline to the drum corps world. Cheers.

lol - the past couple pages were filled with rants by a couple of posters now on 48 hour vacations from dcp

when you are posting nothing but rants and moans - it's time for a net vacation :P :P

thanks for hte kind feedback!

First off, sorry about New Orleans. I hope y'all can land on your feet soon. I've sent some money to the Red Cross, for whatever it's worth.

Anyway, more of these anecdotes about casual fans not diggin' the fluff is music to my ears. I just want to compile them all and mail them to Addison. They're doing a great disservice to potential fans by withholding the activity you want them to see. People aren't stupid. It's not as if they'll blow off a good DCI show unless you explain what a mellophone sounds like...if it's good, they'll like it. What your comments reflect is that people will dig a good recognizable and well-played show like Phantom, and it's the stuff like the Cadets show that makes it necessary to do all this preliminary explanation and backstory (though theirs was so random, they just copped out and said let art be art. hah) that nobody wants to sift through.

Send them to ESPN2. If they say they want DCI to show full performances, they will. They have said the didn't want that so DCI did not. Convince ESPN2 and you will get it.

To go along with that, most of my generation of high schoolers(the newbies of today) pretty much worship the Cavaliers as the "best and perfect drum corps ever" since they've just come off their half decade(and possibly continuing years) of fame....which I don't totally agree with.

However on a good note, maybe people will start worshiping Phantom like they're supposed to after this year's broadcast. B)

Worshipping what about Phantom? A decent show design and umm.... that's it?