DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

It felt like a two hour (really longer) "Infomercial"... :) Here I was all excited about this and emailed all my friends and family to make sure to watch ....

I was hoping to at least hear the Contra part in Phantoms show I was bragging to my dad about it (who loves Gershwin and plays Tuba)..and oh well..should've known. The editing part of the shows, just didn't make sense really...

I noticed in all the "commercialization" of this DCI forgot to mention that the kids pay to be involved in this activity.

Boy are some newcomers gonna be in for a shock uh? :huh:

The technical aspect of it was brilliant, the camera work was done nicely, the Tom Blair production, but I wish they could work on the writing and interviewing skills of their "Infomercial".

Anyway...I am sure I will think of some more things but the thing that sticks out..Not ONE mention of how the kids and their families have to pay to do this..why? Why not?

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall a very nice job. Some things could be better, but I'm not really complaining. Nothing can ever please all the people all of the time.

The thing that really surprised me, was not seeing The Cadets' whole show! It never even occurred to me that the winning show would not be shown in its entirety. I was pretty bummed, especially since some of the best parts were not shown. I will get over it, though, once I have the DVD. :P

I didn't have a problem with the insider stuff at all. I thought the segments were very well done and interesting.

I see I wasn't the only one having problems with the sound quality. I was constantly turning the volume up and down. That was annoying, but still....not a huge deal.

I do think there should have been some mention that there are lots of other corps out there beside the top 12. And like some other people have mentioned, they really should have done better telling where the corps are from. That way, people who are interested will know if there's a corps near them. At the same time, they could have explained that kids come from all over the country (and beyond) to join a particular corps. This is not an activity where the majority of the kids come from the city a corps is based in. That way people understand that even if there isn't a corps near them, they still can be a part of this!

I think that most kids who tune into drum corps on tv and decide to continue watching probably think it's really cool, yet they assume that this is something they could never be a part of themselves. They don't know that these are everyday normal kids out there doing this. We need to find ways to let outsiders know that they CAN do this, too....and point them in the right direction to find out more. Otherwise they will turn off the tv when it is over and forget all about it.

And as many others have pointed out, it really needs to be emphasized to the uneducated viewer that these are only short clips of the corps' programs.

But really, I am very impressed with the ESPN2 broadcast. This was a great starting point and I'm sure it will continue to get better.

Thanks to Tom Blair and DCI for putting together a great show. I hope after tonight there are some new fans out there!

Anyway...I am sure I will think of some more things but the thing that sticks out..Not ONE mention of how the kids and their families have to pay to do this..why? Why not?

I may be losing my memory, but I really don't recall them ever mentioning that on the broadcast. Anyway, you have to pay to join just about any organized youth activity these days.

Oh well, it's over. I still don't think it was bad as everyone says it is. Then people mello down about it after sometime. The Phantom Regiment interview was the best one I've seen on the broadcast.

They did in the very beginning really briefly.

Oh well, it's over. I still don't think it was bad as everyone says it is. Then people mello down about it after sometime.

But most people didn't think it was bad ... check out the poll on the DCP front page. It's just that as always, those who are discontent make the most noise.

Jon, it was mentioned. I can't recall exactly when, but I know the announcers both did mention pretty specifically early on that ages ranged from about 15 to 21, and after that you age out.

They are trying to attract kids - not PUSH them away - hence no mention of cost! Do they always mention how much gynamstics or figure skating costs? NO. Let's hook them before they "die" when they find out how much fees are - I know next year will be a BIG jump with the cost of fuel these days!! b**bs b**bs b**bs