DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

What makes you think the crowds are shrinking?  Some older fans may be leaving if they don't like the direction things are going, but new fans are being made all the time.  Nobody can really say how the total number of fans today compares with 20 or 30 years ago, but however you slice it, it's still doing pretty well.  I don't know where this myth of the evaporating fan base comes from.  Just 'cause some people don't like it doesn't mean that there aren't a whole lot of people who still do.

i didnt say they were. i said they may as more older fans get disenchanted, which is why i think this broadcast was the RIGHT idea for DCI. if you dont recruit the new, and more of us do leave, audiences will then shrink

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(This ad is just another arrogant example of how DCI thumbs it's nose at DCA and Alumni Corps and it's disregard for drum corps prior to DCI.)

It was a DCI finals show...It had nothing to do with DCA or Alumni corps why the #### should they talk about it or show anything about it. If you want to see that then you should get DCA to pay to have their show on ESPN.

The broadcasts like the activity itself evolves over the years. This broadcast was overall very well done and gave me an enjoyable evening of drum corps. I like the features and think that they put a positive spin on the activity. If I didn't know anything about drum corps this broadcast may have been enough to get me to come out to a show the following season. Every year we get posts on these forums from some kids who say their parents are giving them a hard time about joining a corps. I would love to show this to a negative parent and see if they had a change of heart after watching it. Good job by Blair and the rest of the creative crew on this production.

I subscribe to Drum Corps World and noticed the advertisement on ESPN2. You would think Drum Corps World is a DCI newpaper the way the various editions were edited to show only DCI headlines. This ad is just another arrogant example of how DCI thumbs it's nose at DCA and Alumni Corps and it's disregard for drum corps prior to DCI.

What makes you think that DCI had anything to do with the content of Drum Corps World's commercial? Maybe they showed DCI headlines because it was created to air on the DCI broadcast?

I subscribe to Drum Corps World and noticed the advertisement on ESPN2. You would think Drum Corps World is a DCI newpaper the way the various editions were edited to show only DCI headlines. This ad is just another arrogant example of how DCI thumbs it's nose at DCA and Alumni Corps and it's disregard for drum corps prior to DCI.

I do not mean disrespect to the kids who march with DCI corps and their hard work. I despise the organization and it's elitist, arrogant self promotion.

To all those that have marched with DCI corps, I salute you but I hope you are not blind to the fact there is drum corps past DCI.

i disagree. I cover DCA only for DCW, and this was exactly what DCW needed to do. this show wasn't for DCA fans. DCI's market is not DCA's market.

sure it would have been kick ### to see one of my bylines on ESPN2....and when DCA gets on there, I am sure Steve will do it right.

but for this show, Steve did what he needed to do.

ad is just another arrogant example of how DCI thumbs it's nose at DCA and Alumni Corps and it's disregard for drum corps prior to DCI.

Last I checked, DCI and DCA were seperate organizations, as many DCI-bashers are quick to point out whenever they tell us they're leaving. With that in mind, let DCA pay for and produce it's own broadcast. I don't tune in to NFL Live and gripe about not seeing anything about the Arena League.

Mine did too.  She said this is boring and went to bed.  She was extreemly disappointed when Boston's show ended.. She said "Is that it, that is all the fuss is about?" 

I had to explain it to her and promised that if she stayed and watched more the clips would get longer.  I am glad she went to bed so I did not get an "I told you so"

My gf had a similar reaction. I took her to 2 shows this year and she liked them, she's not crazy for drum corps like I am but she liked the shows OK. But she thought the broadcast was really lame. Not enough corps performing.

I don't like the argument "well if you want to see whole shows then buy the DVDs". Would someone seeing this TV show as their first exposure to drum corps want to buy a DVD after THAT? Would they want to go to a show next summer?? I have to say probably not.

And the "teams" tonight were awsome.  Great broadcast -- well done!  Let's hope the ratings were fairly strong.  Now I can't wait to get my DVDs and CDs.

"Teams".....ugh ampssuck

They're "CORPS" for Gods sake...

They changed the name of "Sopranos" and "Contras", can't we at least keep our NAME?

for years we have jokingl called ourselves teams...it's a Curt Gowdy thing

I hope everybody watches the Marcos Antonio Baraera and Sugar Shane Mosley Fights. I know that will be more exciting the the DCI broadcast. I think PBS did a better job. I miss michael C's commentary. I also think DCI could have done a little better at showing the most exciting parts of each show i.e. the great drum sections could have been shown more. My friend think the Devils, Cadets and Madison were best represented.

I love the big headline on the news section of DCP of the two DCA winners. It's great that DCP reconizes it's champions!