DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

I was glad to get off work 3 hours early to get a chance to see the broadcast. So this was more than I was expecting. As for the broadcast, was I excited because of it's awesomeness, no. Was I bored stiff with disappointment, no. Was it what I expected, yes. I didnt go into it expecting to see long clips of the shows. Though I know we all would prefer to see more action, was any of us actually expecting to see that much? Did it serve its purpose? I believe it did. It satisfied my appetite for drum corps. It made me want to get the DVD's and CD's. Thats what the broadcast should do for us diehards. Its a teaser for the DVD's and CD's. Nothing more. And for the newbie, it showed them most of the aspects of what goes into Drum Corps. All in all I'd say that it was a very fine production. Lets hope that we can see it again on ESPN2 next year. Because it sure is better having a set date for a nationwide broadcast, rather than wondering if PBS will ever show it in my town.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway...I am sure I will think of some more things but the thing that sticks out..Not ONE mention of how the kids and their families have to pay to do this..why? Why not?

Actually I think I remember Steve saying at the very beginning that the kids pay out big bucks to march, or something like that. If anyone TiVo'd it maybe they can get an exact quote.

I liked the production of the broadcast except the flashy segment just prior to each corps' actual performance clip. For those new to DCI and drum corps, I think most of the segments were at the right frequency, so to speak.

Would I have liked more performance? Yep. I'm an old timer now (41) and remember the days of PBS broadcasting all 12 performances, in their entireity, live, and oh yeah, they were 13 minutes long each. I never did understand reducing the amount of time for the performance, especially because many folks who follow the activity usually can make only one or two shows a year. Reducing the show by that 1.5 minutes represented a pretty healthy reduction in a person's live drum corps intake.

On the other hand, the shows are much better in so many qualitative ways, from arrangements, music selection, musicianship, performance, and athleticism. I drifted away from the scene in the mid- to late-eighties, and would periodically revisit the activity, and there is no question that the corps are producing much better shows with better talent. I have seen finals in Birmingham, Atlanta, Madison, and College Park (DC), and I really miss the full finals broadcast for all the other years that they haven't had them.

In summary, I think DCI should continue with this ESPN2 (hey, maybe ESPN next year?) angle for the summary show, but still pursue a pay-per-view do it like they used to broadcast over digital cable/DirecTV (live) as well.

My .02 worth.

Later,

Jerry

i only got to see the portion on judging. thought it was pretty cool and well done...

Reread my statement. Did I say anything about the show should contain DCA stuff? It was the ad and the great lengths taken to edit the issues of DCW that bothered me.

again...aim for your market. this was produced for DCI.

Fiedler may have called them teams as a rough attempt at humorously alluding to his corps' baseball theme within the show. :huh:

No, it's more than that. The word "teams" has seemed to me to be sneaking into Drum Corps speak more and more lately (Kurt Gowdy I'm not talking about). Could be just the subtle move to make everyone think "sports" mindedly. It's prepared everyone for the "Game" that DCI has used for promotion instead of "Competition".

All in all, the show was what I expected. It's the same format that has always been shown except this time, the human interest stories were a little too long. The part about the instructors and what it takes to make a show was especially too long. The exception to that segment being the computer generated image of the show along with the Corps marching it at the same time. That was cool!

Edited by MsBusDriver

Hey, here's a thought. Maybe OLN, which is trying to make itself an ESPN competitor under Comcast's friendly auspices, would be interested in airing DCI, maybe even more than once a year. Drum corps is played outdoors ('cept that lame Indy show...get outta the dome, you mooks), so why not? It all depends on who has the final say in production. I understand that OLN wants to be like "hey, we're bringin' the content, baby!" while ESPN shows poker, human interest stories about guys that play poker, a drama series about poker, etc. If OLN wants to highlight the marching, but DCI wants it to be fluffapalooza, it doesn't matter where the show is on the dial, because it'll be half an hour of marching, an hour of fluff, and commercials. Never mind.

Edited by Studio Tan

Though obviously not geared at viewers like me who know the fundamentals of the activity, I liked the broadcast. I'll post again after hearing responses from all the people who I told to watch it.