Was it the Cuts?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I question the objectivity of DCI judges. Beyond slotting, that well-known plague of competition, it seems like the 03 Blue Devils won it all as a "sorry for last year," when they had a better 2002 program than 2003, but nobody was gonna stop Frameworks. I really thought Spin Cycle was gold-medal stuff, but DCI didn't want a dynasty. Also, suspiciously, the Cavies seem to lose right around Indy so they can Never Go Undefeated Again. It's happened three years in a row now, I believe. Is the RCA Dome kryptonite for a green-clad Chicago corps? Does the prevailing aura of Peyton Manning haunt Indy in the offseason and make chokers out of champions? Or do the judges just wanna keep those Cavaliers in their place?

Wow. Are you a member of Congress?

;)

"""""haha The Cadets always move a lot! """" (can't do quotes in fast reply)

My friend timed how much the Cadets stood still in their Jethro Tull show, and it was (don't quote me for exact time), but something around 2:38 in standing time. Just a tidbit of information for everyone to chew one. =D

Edited for Bad Grammer. (it's still early)

Edited by Bari-Player

There was a lot of standing around last year for all the top corps. . .including Cavies.

Many of you need to get away from the notion that moving all the time is good. In order for drill to work effectively with the music it must have pauses, ups and downs, and it must move in a way that conveys the mood and style of the music. There is movement for the sake of movement, and there is artistry. Some of you just want to flip on a stopwatch and time movement only and then decide who had the harder show. The Cadets stood around for a long time in their 1995 production, yet that was an incredibly artistic and challenging show, and they nailed the heck out of it. And when they do move, it's clean, it's challenging, and it makes sense. The Cadets opener this year was more difficult that some entire shows. You didn't get to see that part last night, but what daring drill in the opener. When they marched in 1995 (like their opener and closer) they were doing more in those few moments than most corps did in their entire shows. Yet we judge based on timing instead of looking for artistry, challenge, and visual common sense.

Many of you need to get away from the notion that moving all the time is good.  In order for drill to work effectively with the music it must have pauses, ups and downs, and it must move in a way that conveys the mood and style of the music.  There is movement for the sake of movement, and there is artistry.  Some of you just want to flip on a stopwatch and time movement only and then decide who had the harder show.  The Cadets stood around for a long time in their 1995 production, yet that was an incredibly artistic and challenging show, and they nailed the heck out of it.  And when they do move, it's clean, it's challenging, and it makes sense.  The Cadets opener this year was more difficult that some entire shows.  You didn't get to see that part last night, but what daring drill in the opener.  When they marched in 1995 (like their opener and closer) they were doing more in those few moments than most corps did in their entire shows.  Yet we judge based on timing instead of looking for artistry, challenge, and visual common sense.

that may be true, but i do agree with the poster that said they stood still in 04 too much... as for this year, i loved their drill.

While the Cadets show did absolutely nothing for me this year (and I am generally a fan of the Cadets), I did think their drum line was excellent. As for their horn line and visual programs, I thought they were ok, but nothing special.

I though Regiment had a better horn loine (and book) and Cavies had a better visual program.

Cadets had a hard show, and did it pretty well, there was some slop out there, but there is for every corps.

For whoever said they didn't do alot, but did it squeaky clean, there is a reason the judges sheets have 2 sections. Basically one for design and one for performance. A simple, squeaky clean show should do well in performance, but weak in design, vice versa for one that is very difficult, but performed poorly.

Not trying to say anything about a particular corps, just saying there are 2 sides to the coin.

SO, while I may not agree with the judges, I don't let it bother me.

I don't go to shows to see the judges, or worry about the scores.

"Skippy ship wop bam diddle rap bingo!"

OMG BEST SHOW OF ALL TEH TIMES

Visual GE? How'd they win ANY caption? Phantom had the best repertoire. Cavaliers had the best drill. Blue Devils ostensibly had the best brass, but you'd never know it from that show. Cadets sucked. Did they win because ESPN demands Northeast bias?

:feednotroll: