Corps Id Like to see Back in DCA

Quinny

YES! Innovators of their era! Snare grip tenors, mellophones, etc. BTW they were also from (ostensibly) Albany also.

[Trivia On]

The I-Men were mostly introduced as "From Troy, NY & Pittsfield MA. They were also (secondarily) known to be from Waterford, NY and also Cohoes, NY.

Additionally, the Interstatesmen were the first corps to play Dom DelRa's (Inventor) Mellophone. The very first Mellophone player is today still playing with the Cab's Alumni Corp and with Excelsior Drum Corps.

[Trivia Off]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall competing against the Springfield Marksmen. Anyone else?

A couple of pretty good Canadian corps; the Canadian Commanders and the York Lions. Enjoyed 'em both, and that irridescent orange top on the Commanders was really something.

Another good, if short-lived, senior corps was the Utica Executives.

I recall competing against the Springfield Marksmen.  Anyone else?

Yes, Marksmen were a very competitive corps in the DCA 2nd echelon. How about Princemen, Archie and Reilly? The latter two merged in 1968, I beleive. Some others, gone but not forgotten: Fulton Gauchos, Kithchener Flying Dutchmen, Seneca Chiefs, Warren Cornplanters, Westmorland Esquires, Kingston(NY) Criterions, Maumee Demons, Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk Patriots, Toronto Ambassadors............

Yes, Marksmen were a very competitive corps in the DCA 2nd echelon. How about Princemen, Archie and Reilly? The latter two merged in 1968, I beleive. Some others, gone but not forgotten: Fulton Gauchos, Kithchener Flying Dutchmen, Seneca Chiefs, Warren Cornplanters, Westmorland Esquires, Kingston(NY) Criterions, Maumee Demons, Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk Patriots, Toronto Ambassadors............

Gettesville Suburban Knights? Burlington Commanders, Sudbury Imperial Knights, Wolfe Island Patriots. Garden Statesmen, York WhiteRose, and always.....Cumberland FreeStatesmen...good stuff...the list goes on!!! :)

Another great - and nostalgic - topic that makes you look at the long history of drum corps. And this just for DCA corps! How many of the corps mentioned also competed before DCA was formed? How many of these did not compete in DCA, but were active nonetheless? Just curious.

I would mention/add the Kingston Indians if no one else has. One of my former bosses marched with them, so I had at least one person in the company who understood a little bit about our craziness. (Did I say that?)

Doreen

If I missed this being said already, forgive me: anyone mention the line of french Canadian corps: les Diplomats, Ambassadeurs, and who was the one who did the flying saucer on the field? For old time DC, the Dips doing the Nutcracker was wonderful. (I was really really young).

If I missed this being said already, forgive me:  anyone mention the line of french Canadian corps: les Diplomats, Ambassadeurs, and who was the one who did the flying saucer on the field?

Ray,

1983 L'Odyssee

Tony B)