AzEuph

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knights 85.

Dutch Boy 1986 and 1987, Ventures 1988.

O, Canada.

I disagree about the King marching brass. I honestly prefer that sound to the Yamaha and the Dynasty. The sounds coming from the Phantom and Carolina horn lines tells me that those are quality instruments. yes, both corps have great players, but the sound produced is very professional. The trumpets alone sound far better to me than the Yamaha's.

Jonathan

dude.... cadets won brass that year, lol

Cadets won brass in 2000, not 01. I felt 01 was a much better hornline.

Yeah, I would definitely second (or third or fourth) all the positive things that have been said about Cadets '01. That was a #### of a performance, and a lot of fun to listen to.

a couple comments to throw out there...

i think crown's book was a lot harder this year than it was in 04 (or at least it seemed that way to me) - a lot of isolated stuff that they probably got rewarded for more than in 04...they had a very good sound.

i also think cavies deserved to win brass in 00 - some of the sounds coming out of the trumpets (they were trumpets that year) at the end of the cadets show were pretty bad... maybe the judge wasn't standing in front of them at that time and didn't hear it, or maybe he heard some dirt in cavies show that you can't hear simply from the recordings

with brass field placement is so key that it's impossible to get the same read from a recording.

in regards to phantom 93 -- i know this is a very minor thing... but that missed release just pisses the #### out of me every time i see the show... i mean... ahhhhh - so bad.

but yes, other than that, that was an amazing hornline (fire of eternal glory = :angry: )

as for my own choice - i know it's hard to consider any BD line underrated, but i heard a lot of people saying that this year BD's brass had a down year... now granted, some of the book wasn't the greatest--- or, to put it more bluntly, some of the program design and integration of voice wasn't the greatest, but i thought they had a great sound.

I might suggest y'all dangle your tootsies on the outside of the box and harp a litle less on second-and third-place corps with "underrated" hornlines. Sure, they might not have placed where you wanted them to, but come on...Cavaliers fiish half a point behind Garfield in 2000 and they're underrated? YMMV, as always, but this seems a little more like sour grapes and less like the purpose of the thread.

Edited by tommytimp