Troopers removed from DCI Membership Status

MikeN

If they arent Div 1 members then its not DCIs fault.. its theirs.. DCI sets the rules, its upto the corps to follow them.... troopers obviosuly didnt and this is what happens, so stop #####ing about DCI and start complaining about the management of troop not doing what they're supposed to.

Conversely, though, DCI ...as we are so often reminded....is the member corps. And those "rules" that are set up are ones that corps themselves passed, more or less. It could be argued that we've seen a "look out for your buddies" approach on these committees, though, with (often times) the big name directors or designers holding chairs for these positions. Bothersome how Division I continues to hold the cards constantly for stewardship of the entirety of junior drum corps.

How is it that there is an "all or nothing" approach to this ruling? Any other "business" re-organization, or even restructuring...is something that occurs in stages. It would stand to reason that the "warnings" would be presented alongside of a plan to right the ship as well, since these folks are committed to the idiom.

Jeff Fielder, George Hopkins...these folks that we put forth as the "way to do it" and look to as ample fundraisers...where are their ideas for helping those corps like Troopers, Kiwanis, and so on when things like this happen? .

A "thanks for playing, good luck" kind of taste seems to linger from this announcement....and for all the goodwill and lipping and grinning that DCI loves to push to the forefront....its issues like these that are the ones that really need to be put into the eye of the fan, member, booster and board member.

Seminars for raising funds...a handbook on successful management that's updated every year...an attempt to bring in people outside the activity who have ample 501© 3 expertise to speak at meetings, and to advise those that need help... promoting the general fiscal/managerial health of the activity, that is what DCI should be charged with....and it very well should be, for what it says it stands for.

Granted, there is a large responsibility that the Trooper organization has to do some of these things on their own, but as part of DCI, there shouldn't be an "every man for himself" mentality on these issues. If there's truly a yearning by the DCI directors to grow the activity...in all its aspects... then you're going to have to do more than tend to your own flock and point to just the good things. Situations like this will undoubtedly happen, but, as such, DCI's member directors should be a "safety net" of 20-odd other people ready to try to and help you right the ship...not to -- as reading between the lines seems to suggest-- abandon you to your own fate.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what most people are complaining about is the fact that aside from a few people, nobody really knows what rules have been "broken" at this point, or if they do, they're not in a position to talk about it.

And for the record, I have seen NOTHING in any of the official reports from either DCI or the Troopers that says "The Troopers are no longer a Division 1 corps". They are simply no longer "DCI members" The same thing happened to Kiwanis in '01, as I recall, after their 23rd place finish that year.

"In acknowledging this decision, the Troopers Board of Directors will be working with DCI to see that all current membership compliance requirements are met, thus enabling the Troopers to return to Division I status as quickly as possible in the future. "

For nothing more than clarifying the info that's out there, it appears by this statement that they are no longer D1. I don't purport to know any more than what's here, but this would lead someone to believe they are indeed out of D1 *for now* at least.

Everyone saying the Troopers are D2.........hold up a minute, why not let them do a limited tour, like PC & Esperanza for a couple of years?

Good question. I'm not sure the answer has been made public, but I would expect that this has been discussed. The answer to it will probably be revealed soon, but we probably know 10% of this story so far. I'd say it's a bad idea to rush into any assumptions.

I call BS.

that's ridiculous. SOMEONE has to place below 21... so what if it's happened three years in a row.

stupid move, and an even more stupid rule.

~>conner

I call BS.

that's ridiculous. SOMEONE has to place below 21... so what if it's happened three years in a row.

stupid move, and an even more stupid rule.

~>conner

That is not the rule that has been broken, as many Trooper's insiders have said already. It has nothing to do with where the corps is placing according to the information released in this thread.

I'm siding with DCI on this one. I'm sure something is established in the by-laws that provide that a corps can be removed if they are not meeting ALL obligations specified. (0bviously) what those specifics are ...well we don't know, but the people who NEED to know do, so we'll wait.

Like someone said earlier, DCI is not in the business of chasing off corps (contrary to popular belief). Individual corps do a good enough job at mismanagement to kill themselves. I think this "clause" that got the Troop was probably established to help prevent that from happening.

I look it at as an "Intervention"!!! DCI stepped in and said...Hey Troop, you're #@$#@#$ up....take a break, get your life straight...see ya in a few years. To me, that takes GREAT leadership skills on the part of DCI.

I'm hoping for the best for The Troop, and thank DCI for forcing them to re-evaluate their organization so that they CAN be with us for many years in the future rather than just another corps we talk about from the past.