Throwing Babies

So I'm leaving from my psycholgy class (which is an off-topic discussion in itself) and there was a note on a locker for a band member to "make them throw babies".....wow. I have heard the expression before, but only a few times when I was back in So Cal. I'm now in the middle of nowhere in Illinois and to see that note on a locker (in such an uppity school at that) is quite shocking. Obviously it's not just a west coast thing. How prevalent is this phrase? can anyone give some origin to this?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it definitely found it's way to the south. Heard it all the time with Memphis the last two summers...

As far as I know it is a phrase known by anyone who has ever marched drum corps. If people in marching band are using it, they probably got it from someone who marches/marched drum corps.

Florida, yup.

I'm assuming its national.

So I'm leaving from my psycholgy class (which is an off-topic discussion in itself) and there was a note on a locker for a band member to "make them throw babies".....wow. I have heard the expression before, but only a few times when I was back in So Cal. I'm now in the middle of nowhere in Illinois and to see that note on a locker (in such an uppity school at that) is quite shocking. Obviously it's not just a west coast thing. How prevalent is this phrase? can anyone give some origin to this?

That's a pretty old phrase in this neck of the woods. It's been around a few decades. b**bs

Actually started when someone threw a baby....the rest is history. Disclaimer: No babies have been harmed in this activity. The art of having babies tossed is a professional sport, and should never be done without proper training and fully accredited certification.

Proper Training Course Can Be Found HERE.........

Edited by bill

Speaking of throwing things, in the Garfield 1984 finals performance DVD, you can see audience members throwing something onto the field. What are those things? They look like shower caps or something.

ECJ 05, during our encore, our perc. caption head charlie poole threw a baby doll some of the members had bought for him and given him at the banquet.... it was pretty funny.