DCI, BOA, DCA, or USSBA

DCI, hands down.

Lower deck seats on the 50 in the RCA dome are less spectacular than you might imagine, so I'd just call up my old band director and squeeze in with his group of kids on the upper deck if they're there for BOA.

DCI Finals is freaking expensive, especially compared with BOA finals. DCI execution is quite a bit better at the high levels, but I love watching those high school bands...they have a lot of spirit, and the variety of show styles/ideas is MUCH broader at a BOA event. Some bands seem to be a woodshed for some corps designers to try out ideas they want to use in the summer, while other bands design their shows from the outset to be BAND shows, and do a great job of it too (think Ronald Reagan, the "Star of Indiana" of BOA).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavalcade (the other circuit in this area) - I find out where thier shows are and drive in the opposite direction at a high rate of speed.

:spit:

DCI - Yes Of course

BOA - Yes but with..there is so much narration and just stereotypical flagrant/flaming props indulged. it's just to "SATURATED" with show off of money. the scoring sytem... oh heck changes 2 point ranges in days. due to that huge massive GE scoring.

DCA - Yes of course

USSBA/TOB - Yes, out of all the circuits, this one and TOB doesn't over saturate the field with props. hardly if any narration, very very corps like. while not as clean (with some exceptions of quite a few bands), they get to the point in terms of the program. USSBA has probably the most consisent scoring system that i've noticed. those judges know what they're doing quite well; very well put together circuit.

DCI - Yes Of course

BOA - Yes but with..there is so much narration and just stereotypical flagrant/flaming props indulged. it's just to "SATURATED" with show off of money. the scoring sytem... oh heck changes 2 point ranges in days. due to that huge massive GE scoring.

DCA - Yes of course

USSBA/TOB - Yes, out of all the circuits, this one and TOB doesn't over saturate the field with props. hardly if any narration, very very corps like. while not as clean (with some exceptions of quite a few bands), they get to the point in terms of the program. USSBA has probably the most consisent scoring system that i've noticed. those judges know what they're doing quite well; very well put together circuit.

You are so right about some of the BOA groups. I noticed that too.

DCI - Definitely!

BOA - Most Definitely!

DCA - Why not? It'd be worth the new experience

USSBA - Probably not....BOA is just a few steps ahead of USSBA....

Why is everyone bashing on BOA groups? I don't understand why narration is so "frowned upon." Although I come from a very successful BOA program that doesn't use any narration, it is simply another aspect of the shows. I personally don't enjoy the narration, but everyone here is so hung up on this ONE aspect of high school marching band, that you fail to simply look at the big picture. Most of these bands (whether you like it or not) could give the non-finalist corps, and even some of the finalist corps a run for their money. You look at the groups like Ronald Reagan, Carmel, Avon, LD Bell, etc., these bands can flat out play music and march harder drill than most drum corps out there, on a fraction of the rehearsal time (just look at the Texas UIL 8 hour rule). I know that when you take into account what these kids are doing, the amount of time they have to put into it WITH the added time they have to spend on school and a social life, it is probably more incredible than 135 kids spending an entire summer perfecting a show.

Now, in terms of circuits, I have no question that BOA is the top marching circuit in the country. At the San Antonio Super Regional, between prelims and finals, I was judged by Gino Cipriani, Richard Saucedo, Adam Sage, and an abundance of the top marching activity people.

You compare USSBA to BOA, and look at South Bruswick HS: 2nd place in Group VI open, scored a 97.00, at BOA Grand Nationals, they score a 74.80 in prelims (not even high enough to constitute a Division 1 rating), and they're ranked 51st overall in prelims (don't even advance to semi-finals). There's no arguing that the top talent in the country competes in BOA (with few exceptions like Duncanville HS in Texas), and without a doubt, BOA is also a huge driving force in these bands upping the competition every year. Having competed the last 4 seasons in BOA, the competition has without a doubt, gotten harder and harder each year.

Key to this is - don't get so hung up on the narration. Look at the overall talent of the group being presented, becuase you're missing out on a lot.

Edited by elementwrx

DCI - Definitely!

BOA - Most Definitely!

DCA - Why not? It'd be worth the new experience

USSBA - Probably not....BOA is just a few steps ahead of USSBA....

I agree on the above, except the last one...I would take USSBA any day....I don't think TOB is remotely ahead of USSBA. I think it is different, and it serves it's members well...but so does USSBA. Every circuit has its own plusses and minusses. For me, at this point USSBA is a circuit I enjoy with the band I arrange the wind/percussion charts for.

Mike, wind/percussion arranger West Windsor-Plainsboro HS South, USSBA class II Open 2056 NJ state champs and II Open 2005 all-states champs

You compare USSBA to BOA, and look at South Bruswick HS: 2nd place in Group VI open, scored a 97.00, at BOA Grand Nationals, they score a 74.80 in prelims (not even high enough to constitute a Division 1 rating), and they're ranked 51st overall in prelims (don't even advance to semi-finals). There's no arguing that the top talent in the country competes in BOA (with few exceptions like Duncanville HS in Texas), and without a doubt, BOA is also a huge driving force in these bands upping the competition every year. Having competed the last 4 seasons in BOA, the competition has without a doubt, gotten harder and harder each year.

i didn't go to BOA this year because i had performance myself but ive been to ones before. i prefer USSBA and TOB because it's less tacky and cheesy with narrations and flagrant props. BOA's just a little to "flowery" for me. sure it's cleaner but USSBA and TOB are very drum corps like, hardly any of them using amplification, narration or over excessive prop use.

BOA is very much more clean in general compared to other circuits, but those shows are so aimed towards that GE score that it could be dirty but with good GE still pull off a good score.

I think dartmouth would murder some of these BOA bands in percussion. Why? Tom Aungst's there and he's the guy who led the 3 peat in percussion for cadets as well as the one for this year in high percussion. Not to mention dartmouth frequently places in the top 3 for WGI world scholastic percussion.

and to whoever said anything about BOA bands taking out Division II corps, i just watched dvds of BOA and Div II, yeah some division II corps, but BOA won't smudge most corps.

Edited by TommySopranoContra

I think dartmouth would murder some of these BOA bands in percussion. Why? Tom Aungst's there and he's the guy who led the 3 peat in percussion for cadets as well as the one for this year in high percussion. Not to mention dartmouth frequently places in the top 3 for WGI world scholastic percussion.

agreed!!!! :)