DCP for sale?

Eddie

I do understand everyone's concerns, but I remember when I donated it was to buy more space. That did happen and I don't expect my $ back.

I'm not sure when other people donated $ but it seems it was closer to now.

Change is so difficult....I just need to breath deep and count back from 1,000. :lol:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone interested are good drum corps folks - I really see this as an opportunity to push the site forward and inject some new energy and resources into the project. I see it as a win/win for users and the activity. I can understand some nervousness but I believe it is unfounded. This will be a good thing for all.

i'm nervous that one of the bidders has several extremely bad feedback ratings. is a guy who has been received feedback calling him a scam artist, someone who does not contact the buyer/seller, does not pay for items he bids on, etc, someone we want running dcp? :lol:

Reserve on e-bay has been met!!!

edited

Edited by Lancerlady

George,

I want to thank you for creating DCP, investing your money time and ingenuity into this great internet meeting place for our activity. I was certainly one of the early naysayers from RAMD. BTW I also appreciate all of you who did contribute to DCP to help defray Georges costs which I can only guess were formidable.

This is how private businesses go folks, it will now be up to someone else to run with the ball that George is handing over. I believe George has a right to do what he wants with this and most importantly a right to try to make himself come out even on the deal. There are very few people out there would have paid for a site like this to continue when the bandwidth costs started to climb like they did.

Now DCP is a money maker and whoever buys it is buying something of value. And I really dont think someone is going to pay cash for all the goodwill and cachet DCP brings only to change it. Look at it this way moderator folks, maybe the new owner will start to pay you!!??.

And if DCP changes so much there are or will be other places for us to congregate. I am willing to bet although there are thousands of members, less than 500 of them contribute to the forums on any regular kind of basis. Or God forbid we will have to get off our arses, and interact in the REAL world!

Thanks again George!

this isn't working right. All I have to say Dan is that is a nice thought, I just hope whoever it is that has this site doesn't take it and destroy it, and if they do, oh well, I have other things in my life to do.

It's just really sad to me the way all of this went down, the most unprofessional way to handle business in my opinion.

Edited by Lancerlady

A few thoughts to add to the discussion.

To the Good:

1. George should be commended for founding, fostering and supporting a place where a community of caring drum corps people can come to share thoughts, ideas and opinions.

2. George should also be commended for putting in the time that he has to make this place viable.

3. Any reasonable person would assume that George has sunk more of his own money into this venture than we would be aware of.

So there you have almost all of what it takes to get a venture off of the ground:

Vision

Time

Money

Passion

Committment

Can anyone argue that George does not possess these qualities?

To the Bad:

1. Nowhere on this site from the registration materials to the rules, etc... is it stated that this site is privately owned and can be disposed of at the whim of said owner. Simple oversight? Most likely but it now leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

2. It is unreasonable to expect that a community of individuals so diverse in means, geography and capability can put together a plan to "purchase" and maintain this site in 7 business days.

3. 2 months ago George started a discussion about revamping the goals of DCP. I asked him a very specific question regarding whether or not the governing bodies of DCI and it's member corps viewed this site as relevant. George admitted that essentially they do not. Without relevance and direct linkage the the activity, this site is limited in what it can do beyond providing a place to talk.

4. George has postulated that a person of "means" might purchase DCP and keep it up and running. Sounds to me like one can expect to be losing money. Why also would a person of means want to invest in something that is peripheral in nature at best?

Along with all of those wonderful qualities that I cited above there is another that is essential in starting any venture(necessary but problematic):

Ego(see Bill Cook)

Can anyone here argue that this site has not served the needs of George's ego over the last 4 years?

So what has really happened here?

According to the very sparse information that George has shared about the cashflow, it would appear that losing money is no longer an issue.

The other issue that George has cited is the time committment. That is a valid issue for anyone to consider when running a business.

So what has changed in George's life that makes it impossible for him to continue to commit time to this venture?

Maybe this site no longer feeds his ego?

Maybe the thrill of the start-up is gone?

Maybe George is out of ideas and truly does not know where to go with this venture?

Maybe George is not the guy you need to maintain and grow a business?

Maybe, maybe, maybe..........

It is not that George has put this site up for sale that angers us it is the method that he chosen.

1. There was no discussion. (Which as the "owner" of the site George felt was unnecessary.)

2. There does not appear to have been any planning.

3. There a very real concerns about:

Privacy

The intent of a potential buyer

The future of the community

To each of these concerns, George's response has essentially been "trust me". No fears have been allayed. Why should we trust George now?

Are you so out of touch with the very community that you founded George, that you didn't realize that people would react the way that they have?

Or do you just not care anymore?

In either case, trust your gut, it is time for you to leave.

Most egregious is that George has ignored that fact that a community exists here. His actions amount to indifference at best, betrayal at worst.

George,

You owe this community better. Close down the auction and give the community a chance to come up with a solution.

You are a businessman so put some boundaries out there.

1. A timeline needs to be put in place(3 months?). If a solution can't be generated in a reasonable amount of time. Put the auction back up again.

2. People should be given the option before the site changes hands(no matter who the buyer is) to have their personal information deleted.

3. Donations made in the last 6 months should be refunded. I refuse to believe that this decision is a sudden one.

The auction holds a gun to everyone's head.

Edited by dckid80

I noticed that most of the questions asked of George haven't been answered by him.

Oh well...I won't be donating any more money or time so please don't include my name in the volunteer list as part of the sale..thank you.

I don't appreciate the way this is going down. I understand money donated goes back into the site but these other legitimate concerns have been ignored.

You cited "privacy concerns" and "identity theft" neither of which having any bearing in reality. The only "information" dcp has on it's members is an email address and a name - not private information such as social security numbers, credit card numbers or any other personal data needed to steal someone's identity

That said - the auction clearly states the buyer cannot resell or make public the member information we do have (name, email)

Member database information is to be kept private by the new owner - and it not transferable beyond the new owner.

You brought up money - but honestly - since you are not a bidder or the seller it's not really your concern. I've always had an "open book policy" even though it isn't required since we aren't registered as either a public corporation or an NPO. You mention you've donated - well, all donor money has gone to support of the site. In the past (up until Mike New became owner for a year or so) I posted all donor money and offsetting expenses. Since becoming owner again - I have gotten one donation for $10 - which has been put toward bandwidth fees. I also recieved a check which I have just voided and mailed back to the sender.

I really believe this method - public auction - will put DCP into the hands of someone who 1. is passionate about our activity and 2. has the resources required to leverage DCP to the next level. So far everyone bidding or asking questions to me have been well-respected individuals within our activity.

The current high bidder (if it's who I think it is) is a member of, and regular poster on DCP....hopfully with the best intentions.

It is not that George has put this site up for sale that angers us it is the method that he chosen.

1. There was no discussion. (Which as the "owner" of the site George felt was unnecessary.)

2. There does not appear to have been any planning.

3. There a very real concerns about:

Privacy

The intent of a potential buyer

The future of the community

To each of these concerns, George's response has essentially been "trust me". No fears have been allayed. Why should we trust George now?

Are you so out of touch with the very community that you founded George, that you didn't realize that people would react the way that they have?

Or do you just not care anymore?

In either case, trust your gut, it is time for you to leave.

Most egregious is that George has ignored that fact that a community exists here. His actions amount to indifference at best, betrayal at worst.

George,

You owe this community better. Close down the auction and give the community a chance to come up with a solution.

You are a businessman so put some boundaries out there.

1. A timeline needs to be put in place(3 months?). If a solution can't be generated in a reasonable amount of time. Put the auction back up again.

2. People should be given the option before the site changes hands(no matter who the buyer is) to have their personal information deleted.

3. Donations made in the last 6 months should be refunded. I refuse to believe that this decision is a sudden one.

The auction holds a gun to everyone's head.

Abso-####IN'-loutely! :lol: