Former Pioneer BoD Member, DCI Volunteer of the Year Arrested

And to go with Glory, ALL people who are near the kids (paid and unpaid volunteers) need to be checked for this to be effctive.

Jim - It's really bigger than that. In DCI D1 the "adults" closest to the "kids" are the 19-22 year-old marching members. DCA becomes even more problematic.

While protecting the members has to be the paramount concern, I'd agree that general background checks that don't focus on actions that are a threat to minors are probably a waste. Probably, the sexual predator lists are what you want to concentrate on.

I fail to see how forced attendance at a church shows "a sense of class and to stay true to our origins". My corps was origially a Catholic corps, the Holy Name Cadets, yet we were not dragged to churches while on the road.

Didn't Mahon say "Mass" on occasion? b**bs

Lets say a hard working well meaning parent or supporter had a dope charge when he was 19 years old and he is 55 now and has had a clean record since....are we going to exclude that person from the activity?????

i work for the county courts in my county. and if a person had a drug charge against them while they were younger. they can get it removed from their record(you can't get all chargers removed but some can be.). it takes around 1 1/2-2 years o do so. and depending on the crime, rules regaurding it(like in my county any minor offences alsong as you did not plead guilty, otherwise that takes a governor's pardon. and as long as it happened after 98) and if they have a job odds are they already have a job then the record has been removed. but not all charges can get removed from the record.

and a back ground check isn't that hard to run. or cost that much.

If everyone involved in drum corps were given a psychiatric examination, there would be too few people left to keep the activity functioning..

:wub::worthy::wub:

I would be the first to go!

I work harder as a volunteer on my vacation then I do at work (don't tell my boss).

Back to the background check thing...I dont think the results of a check should rule out a potential(or current) volunteer...but it should be a flag for staff and memebrs to kinda watch out.

Jim - It's really bigger than that. In DCI D1 the "adults" closest to the "kids" are the 19-22 year-old marching members. DCA becomes even more problematic.

While protecting the members has to be the paramount concern, I'd agree that general background checks that don't focus on actions that are a threat to minors are probably a waste. Probably, the sexual predator lists are what you want to concentrate on.

Never thought of the "adults nearest the kids" that way Wayne, thanks. Sounds like a friend of mine who worked as a counselor at a summer camp. Camp had weekly sessions and one session a year had HS aged campers. Part of her "rules and regs" training stated: "No getting emotionally involved with other staff members. During High School week, no getting emotionally involved with the campers."

Also when I talked about background checks, I was only thinking about the preditor lists or state cop check on the criminal database. Having gone thru background checks for my job I know how long and expensive they can be. <Resisting urge to say something smart ###ed about my security clearance.>

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

This post at the moment has had 4172 hits. Now if you multiply this by five or ten, which would be a reasonable amount of other persons told about this by a viewer, this would come 41,720 persons.This number should be sufficient to end the existence of Pioneer once and for all!

Edited by stellwegen

This post at the moment has had 4172 hits. Now if you multiply this by five or ten, which would be a reasonable amount of other persons told about this by a viewer, this would come 41,720 persons.This number should be sufficient to end the existence of Pioneer once and for all!

Having recently gone through something similar at church with one of our elders, as long as there is a support group for the people most influenced, Pioneer will be fine. Another thing that helped get our youth group was that the other elders and our pastor were very open about what the crime had been and made it clear that this kind of thing is NOT okay and they even gave a class on how to recognize predators and what to do if you suspect someone. IMO, as long as the corps is willing to be open about the details they know and be there for the members-it will take time but, everything will be fine.

This number should be sufficient to end the existence of Pioneer once and for all!

I can't stop reading this sentence because, to me, it has such a negative connotation to it. I hope I am wrong...and I also hope that you don't go around wishing for the demise of other organizations like Pioneer. We will get through this. If you've marched with the corps before (I cannot tell by your post if you have) then you would know that.