Former Pioneer BoD Member, DCI Volunteer of the Year Arrested

I marched with Pio in '01, and I never even heard of the guy, let alone saw him on tour. Could be a sign that there wasn't anything going on with corps members.

I marched with Pio in '01, and I never even heard of the guy, let alone saw him on tour. Could be a sign that there wasn't anything going on with corps members.

Well, first, the guy is innocent until proven guilty. It seems that people forget that when it comes to those arrested for stuff related to kids because it's such a heinous crime...but all the same rules do (and should) apply.

I would think, generally speaking, that a D1 corps is less likely to be victimized simply because of the average age of the members and the fact that, with 135 members and dozens of staffers around, the opportunity for a volunteer to privately interact with a member might not easily present itself. Pioneer is probably younger on average than most D1 corps, but assuming the average is 18, even if the allegations are true, those guys are probably too old or, at least (still unethical, but) legal. Hey, for a married guy living a secret life, there are worse places to be than near 60-70 scantily clad young guys (or girls if that's your thing) all Summer, even if you're not doing anything illegal.

Again, hopefully nothing untoward occurred with corps members but, if it did, management should encourage those people to come forward.

Edited by Phillygwm

because this thread hasn't ran its course yet, like the Phantom thread did.

~>conner

Interesting that the Phantom debt thread was closed, but this thread is allowed to run?

This thread needs to stay open and visible to give any individuals who were personally affected the opportunity to know that they weren't alone. It's not here for the gossip value.

Kevin - You did a valuable service even though I suspect it gave you a very unpleasant feeling.

Interesting that the Phantom debt thread was closed, but this thread is allowed to run?

All posts have been in good taste and nobody has passed judgement on either victims or the accused. This is a time for reflection and/or comfort.

Edited by felixh

cause this thread hasnt been anywhere near that one

He was around, but I think we only ever saw him at the Land. The only other places I ever saw him was doing food at the occasional camps I helped out at in '02.

Most of his contact was with the adults... still a creepy thought though. It would still be a smart move for Roman to pay for background checks. It's almost a liability if you don't run them nowadays...