Blue Devils 1989 finals recording

I have the finals and semifinals recordings of BD 89. If I remember correctly, the semis version wasn't perfect either; obviously a lot better, but I think I remember hearing something that was actually better on finals night.

Why was Dutch Boy's 1990 show the prelims recording?

Dunno....the only thing I can think of would be that it was teh performance that got them into finals....listen to the audio and watch the video....teh fracks are totally different...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dude tears up that solo at semis. I can understand the desire to hear the 89 BD solo at its best. I believe that the finals performance of the corps is superior, though after the frack it is weird to hear Tim playing his part down the octave. I'm sure that a total performance with the semis solo from the ballad and from the Bolling tune fused with the rest of the corps' performance from finals would be the best.

Carlito

Did he frack in semis or did he play it clean?

Nailed the livin CRAP out of it!!!! He always did (at least when I saw them). It really bothers me that people hold that finals frack so hard over his head. He was so consistant it's a shame that his consistancy will not ever be recognized to to what I would call just simple bad luck. Sorr, this is a hot button for me. It's just too close to home. :sigh:

Do a search on here for "DCI Season Pass" - back when the first reviews came out in June (or May, whenever it was), there's a discussion about how the BD show was spliced together for their download mp3.

(It's something to the effect of just the ballad was imported from semis into the finals recording on that one. For the CD releases without the frack, it was the full semis recording, if I recall correctly, though my Collectors Series CD had the full Finals recording.)

Mike

Edited by MikeN

Wait...so everyone else has the recording from the 1989 semis?

I have the "Audio Collectors Series" for 1987-1991, and I have the entire frack.

It's been so long since I've heard semis I forget what the solo actually sounds like. :P

Yep, the Collector's Series has the Finals recording but the yearly CD has the semis recording. I don't know why they switched it. Now that poor kid (guy now) gets to relive that horrible experience over and over again. It's a shame.

My DVD and VHS are of Finals with the mess up.

My CD is of Semis, Clean and Solid.

That dude was very sure footed all summer on the solo. Absolute PIG, he was!!! It's really a shame that more people are aware of that screw up than they are of how solid a soloist he really was. Star went to Cali that summer and we were up against BD several times. He was nails every show I witnessed, except finals. :(

Add '03 SCV considering they had phasing at the beginning of their Finals performance.

What!? This show that I have come to know and love on Season Pass...is not the finals performance? But what about "VANGUARD!!!!!"?

What!? This show that I have come to know and love on Season Pass...is not the finals performance? But what about "VANGUARD!!!!!"?

I'm going to have to listen to the Season Pass version, because I have the VHS and the "VANGUARD" from prelims night (or should I say morning?) was NOT loud.