Blue Devils 1993

I need to list to my record of it but the ending of Soup is in 4/4. If you haven't heard it, its a blues.
actually the bump and grind ending is in 12/8. We did it in 89 with the Westshoremen Edited by Jeff Ream

Great show, and they sounded even better live! I saw them a few times in 93, one front & center. It was amazing.

There was a great feature on the videos/PBS broadcast that featured Wayne explaining some of his arranging philosophy. He breaks down a section from Open Wide/Great Divide and has each section of the brass play it separately and then together (while scrolling the written out music). Very interesting, and probably my favorite extra segment from any PBS broadcast or video. Is that on the DVD?

No suprise when they took top field brass in prelims. The only bad thing was that this show was up against three juggernaut shows that year. 93 was a really great year for DCI, a lot of very exciting music books that were very accessible with a lot of technical stuff, too.

And yes, their Bari guy was absolutely wonderful. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Great show, and they sounded even better live! I saw them a few times in 93, one front & center. It was amazing.

There was a great feature on the videos/PBS broadcast that featured Wayne explaining some of his arranging philosophy. He breaks down a section from Open Wide/Great Divide and has each section of the brass play it separately and then together (while scrolling the written out music). Very interesting, and probably my favorite extra segment from any PBS broadcast or video. Is that on the DVD?

I have that on VHS. If you can ever find the documentary "A Head of Time", in it you'll find out Hank Levy himself went to work with BD for at least a bit on the book. that video and accomanying CD are absolute dynamite of you like this show- or Hank Levy and Don Ellis, and I'd think anyone who is a fan of this show does. :thumbup:

This show is also one of the ones that are in my Wagon's Monsoon CD deck when I need it to lift me up. :cool:

Edited by BigW

93 was a really great year for DCI

It's funny, because at the time I kind of seem to remember that a lot of people thought 1993 was a down year (and 1994 was even worse). Could be remembering wrong, but after the uber popular 1992 season, I vaguely remember people being underwhelmed by most of the shows from 1993.

I always loved 1993, but that was the era where I first got into drum corps. But I agree that there were many incredible shows in general, and brass lines in particular in 93 (also Cadets & Star percussion sections = off the hook good)

It's funny, because at the time I kind of seem to remember that a lot of people thought 1993 was a down year (and 1994 was even worse). Could be remembering wrong, but after the uber popular 1992 season, I vaguely remember people being underwhelmed by most of the shows from 1993.

I always loved 1993, but that was the era where I first got into drum corps. But I agree that there were many incredible shows in general, and brass lines in particular in 93 (also Cadets & Star percussion sections = off the hook good)

People in my circles thought that '93 was a really good year. It wasn't as good as '92. The Cavaliers were having a bit of a down year. Blue Devils, however, had a monster show and a monster hornline!

I'll agree with you about '94... That was not a terribly good year and marks the beginning of the "dark ages" of drum corps in the '90s by much of the activity to me and many people I know... Yes, I know it's been talked about on here a bit over the last few years....

Also, that seemed to be when the DCI financials were pretty bad, which is well documented on here...

Anyway, a *little* aside and I'm glad that we got out of those times...

*Edit - To provide a little more background for the person who red didn't like what I said... blink.gif

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Oh, I don't know. At the time I liked Madison's version just as much. I've never heard the older ones. I remeber before the '93 season people were saying that BD was going to smoke Madison for SURE playing the same tune. But I think just as many people ended up preferring Madison's version that year.

I wonder if they said that about Johnny One Note, which Bloo and BD played in '89 too? That didn't happen either!

I enjoy it when 2 corps give their take on a piece of music. It's happened quite a LOT over the years...

I have that on VHS. If you can ever find the documentary "A Head of Time", in it you'll find out Hank Levy himself went to work with BD for at least a bit on the book. that video and accomanying CD are absolute dynamite of you like this show- or Hank Levy and Don Ellis, and I'd think anyone who is a fan of this show does. :thumbup:

This show is also one of the ones that are in my Wagon's Monsoon CD deck when I need it to lift me up. :cool:

Oooooo...what did Levy think??